Central IL Casa2G100 oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central IL Casa2G100 oven build

Finally finished... L-shaped corner design w/ concrete countertops, cultured stone siding, stucco, and metal roof.

Re: Central IL Casa2G100 oven build

Hi Jagedrose,

The oven looks great, nice work. Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks, Heidi! I just glanced through your build. Also very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by jagedrose View Post
        Finally finished... L-shaped corner design w/ concrete countertops, cultured stone siding, stucco, and metal roof.
        Great setting and wonderful design and workmanship.

I also have a corner design but am pinned up against the swimming pool.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

Thanks, Chip! I see you're from MN, as am I (Red Wing). I was also in the ski business for quite a few years in the 70's and 80's.

Do you have any pics of your oven on here?

Jeff

Comment

You can see most of my posts at "Chip's 42 in Minnesota"

But here is a recent beauty shot. I am still working on the exterior and roof the upper roof will go away once the lower roof is water tight.

There will be a real brick patio in front of the oven, Granite counters, tile on the entry extension and rustic wood doors for the storage bins. but it all takes time.

Chip
            Chip

Comment

I love it, Chip! I really like your choice of brick... you obviously have a gift for masonry work! I also like your roof design. I struggled to figure out how to do my roof, and I wish I would have extended it out at least another foot or so, as I have to hug the oven pretty tight or move to the side when I'm baking in the rain. Is yours a modular FB oven, or a brick oven?

Comment

I love it, Chip! I really like your choice of brick... you obviously have a gift for masonry work! I also like your roof design. I struggled to figure out how to do my roof, and I wish I would have extended it out at least another foot or so, as I have to hug the oven pretty tight or move to the side when I'm baking in the rain. Is yours a modular FB oven, or a brick oven?
                Brick oven and it has a couple of history lines, One is that the brick is St Paul MN Street brick so it is about as old as brick gets in Minnesota, hard as granite and if you look real close a couple of the bricks on the left still have yellow paint on them from the street.

The other history is that the first dome this oven had was made from firebrick that had been setting out in the rain, snow, weather of StPaul for several years, I built the dome carefully and when I went to fire up the oven for it's initial cures it began to crack within the bricks, not on the mortar joints, I found out later that wet fire brick should not be subjected to freeze thaw cycles so...it must have had internal stress fractures that were multiplied when heat was added.

The oven did not collapse but had so many cracks through the bricks that I tore it down and rebuilt with brand spanking new brick. Many of the cracks were so large that you could see fire from the outside.

So it goes.

The new oven is very well insulated and I am at 48 hours from last fire at this moment and the oven is still 425 inside, Pizza Sunday, Salmon steaks new red potatoes, and fresh bread yesterday, cooking a wild rice and sausage bake tonight. you gotta love insulation.

Chip
                Last edited by mrchipster; 11-08-2011, 04:19 PM.
                Chip

Comment

Yes, Chip, those brick ovens hold the heat, man! Great for bread making!! My modular does okay... it's still 450 at noon the day after a fire, but it's below 300 by evening. The good thing with the FB oven, though, is that I can fire it up to pizza temp (800-900) within 60 to 75 minutes. Once I become better with my breads, I may need to do a brick oven... (don't tell my wife... shhh...)

Btw, your brick story is a good one!

Comment

Great job, love the counter tops.

Comment

Looks amazing man! Good to see Central IL representing.

Comment

I pushed the roof out so that there is 43 inches between the face of the brick and the peak of the roof but the peak is 9 ft up so if there is any wind from the north or east I still get wet. The prep table is mostly covered except the far left edge and that works out real nice. In the summer it will be nice not to have the sun beating down on the prep table. as that side is on the south and will be covered by the roof.

Chip
                        Chip

Comment

Working...
                        X