Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36" build in London, UK

Hi all,

Here's some pictures of a 36" build we did last summer in the UK. I meant to post them at the time but a combination of busy weeks at work and busy weekends building, I didn't get round to it. So here they are in retrospect.

The aim of the build btw was a smallish oven to fit a London garden using the traditional brick of the area. We used the forno pdf for the structural elements but had a different idea for cladding as you'll see. We also got a slow-mo video of us building it which I'll post at the end when I've stitched it together.

George

Re: 36" build in London, UK

That is a beautiful spot and backdrop for a WFO. (And patio maybe)? Can't wait to see how this turns out.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Looking forward to see how it turned out.
      Gulf is right, it is a great spot and i love the traditional brick!

Jeff
      Jeff
      My 42-inch build

Comment

Hi guys,

Here's the next lot of pictures. We've built the base in this stage. Note the slight lean on the front right part - we're so caught up in getting the wall straight in the other two directions we didn't notice the vertical lean. I should point out we hadn't laid bricks before so we weren't too harsh on ourselves!

There's also a random picture of the bricks after they have been delivered. I love the beauty of these bricks and this image really captures it for me.

George

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgePalmer View Post
          Hi guys,

.. we're so caught up in getting the wall straight in the other two directions we didn't notice the vertical lean..
          George
          It adds character Love the brick, keep the pics coming.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgePalmer View Post
            We've built the base in this stage.
            I think you will find the oven hearth too low if that is your finished base height, you are looking at around 1M high to the oven floor once you put a concrete slab, vermicrete and oven hearth on it, I made mine 1.2M and its still maybe a tad too low.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I agree with Al. Finished hearth height is very important. Mine is 44 inches.

Comment

I think you said your oven is already done, but I'm targeting my oven floor to be the same height as my elbow. I don't even remember what height that is, but I'm 6-2, so it's probably around 46-47" (4.5 blocks high +4" slab+5" perlcrete+2" brick floor).
                I'll make something for the kids to step on to reach it.
                Yours is 9 courses high at 3" each is only 27". I would have added another 3 courses, then again, if it's 3.5in you're at 32", so maybe two more are needed.

Since you've already built the oven it really doesn't matter, but it's fun second guessing you. I hope you're enjoying having it done.

Jeff
                Jeff
                My 42-inch build

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaIdiot View Post
                  Yours is 9 courses high at 3" each is only 27". I would have added another 3 courses, then again, if it's 3.5in you're at 32", so maybe two more are needed.
                  Last time I was in England the gauge was 3", I doubt it would have changed?
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Just seen all the replies. The oven is already built I'm just posting a few pics each week.

The bricks are what are locally called stock bricks. They're new but made to look like the old Victorian bricks, and are 8-8.5cm high which is slightly larger than modern bricks. 9 courses + mortar makes the total height 85cm at the point shown in the last photo. The concrete slab that went on was 15cm = 1m. Then there's the insulation layer, around 10cm, before getting to the brick floor, making the oven cooking floor height just under 1.2m. We tested this before building finding it the perfect height although I should say I'm only 5'6"!!

Comment

Hey all,

Here's the next lot of pics. Was a bit worried whether the wood would hold the concrete weight having never done this before but it turned out fine! The iron is to support a row of decorative bricks along the front which will become clear next week.

G

Comment

It is like a mini-series. You know that the producers and cast know how it's going to turn out, but thet keep you hanging on the edge of your seat

What ever way you want to present if fine by me. Just keep the pics coming.
                        Join us next week same time same station

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                          It is like a mini-series. You know that the producers and cast know how it's going to turn out, but thet keep you hanging on the edge of your seat

What ever way you want to present if fine by me. Just keep the pics coming.
                          Join us next week same time same station
                          Ha Ha! I was away for a long weekend this weekend so was a day late!!! Normal service resumes on Sunday this week folks...

Comment

Here's the next few. Insulation was laid down on top of a bit of cement/fire clay mixture to make sure the floor was absolutely 100% flat. We wrapped the insulation boards in tin foil on the advice of a local guy and laid the floor directly on top of that. The rest of the photos are the oven floor and first few layers. We definitely found building the dome the most time consuming part of the whole build but as with all these things got more efficient as we went along.

Comment

Here's another weekly instalment! This shows the progression and completion of the dome with the entrance arch.

Until next week...

Comment

Working...
                              X