48 inch forest of dean UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 inch forest of dean UK

just starting out on my first ever WFO build with no Knowledge about bricks at all except what i have learned here comments welcome
    Sophias - Photos | Facebook

Re: 48 inch forest of dean UK

Deja vu?
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

just thought i might get more feedback in this thread than commercial ovens ? as some one who never laid a brick much less cut tapperd ones i just want to get as much feedback as i go along so as not to end up having to un do anything mind the premix i got from kiln linings doesent seem to set at all after 5 days you can just pull a little and the arch came out and the bricks are growing a white fur ??

Comment

Originally posted by smallholder123 View Post
        the premix i got from kiln linings doesent seem to set at all after 5 days you can just pull a little and the arch came out and the bricks are growing a white fur ??
        The premix sounds wrong, the premix I use air sets in about 10 to 15 minutes, sounds like your stuff will only set when fired which is no good for your build.

The white fur is efflorescence, its basically salt which is most likely in your water, chlorine is a salt, does your water smell like a swimming pool?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

not quite like a pool but there is a high lime scale in the water ..does that mean if i do carry on and build carefully it will all set hard after a firing ?? or mayby get the heat gun out to semi set ?

Comment

Originally posted by smallholder123 View Post
            ..does that mean if i do carry on and build carefully it will all set hard after a firing ?? or mayby get the heat gun out to semi set ?
            Sounds like a lot of work to come unstuck right at the end if it doesnt set with fire?

Id be looking for some airset glue myself.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

this is the blurb from the site i got it from i was thinking as there is no heat in the room mayby thats affecting it ?? and mayby my bricks ,sometimes being soaked overnight is causing the bricks not to set .. some seem fine others are not ??? KilnLInings Wet Air Setting Cement, this product is for jointing any of the bricks we supply, we suggest 1 tub/75 bricks. Though this depends how sparingly the product is used. The cement can withstand service temperatures up to 1600C. Material safety data sheets are available on request as too are Technical data sheets. Please be aware this product is an "irritant". Our KLW A.S.C cement comes in a 25Kg Tub.

Comment

Obviously something is not right then after reading that.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

ill say had to compleatly redo the entire archs and try a hot air gun in the next couple of days when it gets here and had a big set back as i got a new blade but on 20 m not 22.2 so bored it out a little and it must be a little out as when you put the brick up to it all you get is wobble wobble doh

Comment

what about a mix of brick dust cement fie clay and this wet air cement mixed ? any thoughts

Comment

Cant help there sorry as I have no idea what the stuff in the bag is.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi there I used the same "air setting cement" from kiln linings and it worked fine. Dryed pretty quick as well, I did build mine in the middle of summer though, maybe the damp winter air is not helping. I maybe wrong though.

Comment

No not at all wrong there we have noticed a big chang in the setting with a few dry warm days all is going well will finish the top of the dome this week

Comment

Hi smallholder123
                            Initially I bought 3 25kg tubs of airset cement. It was rather expensive and if you look at the FB recommendations on some sticky or other they are very specific that you should not use airset cement. I rang the manufacturers and questioned them about it. They said it wasn't suitable for joints >3mm (I think). That decided me since my joints are tapered from up to an inch to zero. I returned them all unopened and they refunded me. I decided to go for what is usually referred to as "homebrew" on this forum i.e 3 sand 1 portland: 1 lime : 1 fireclay: and I have almost finished building the dome with that. It is much much cheaper.

I think you said your arch was exposed to rain? I think airset is not meant to be used outdoors. You might get away with it if it is kept covered - but I recommend you change it for the homebrew or a dry premix (add water).
                            Amac
                            Link to my WFO build

Comment

Working...
                            X