42 inch beehive in Belgium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 inch beehive in Belgium

Wel, I got started last weekend after reading everything I could get my hands on including every thread in this forum.
    After long and thorough consideration I decided to do just like everybody else and start by pouring a slab.

I'm sure you will have noticed the slab has a certain roundness to it. Wich is where my project will deviate a bit from the beaten path in that the oven stand will also be round. The main idea is to build a beehive type oven, not completely unlike the ones you see in Naples and/or are built by the Italian gentleman that goes by the name Ferrara. Instead of small mosaic I will however be re-using the red brick I got when I dismantled the ruin of the old bake-house in my garden. Other cues I'm taking from the ovens in Naples is building the arch out of steel and have the flue go up and over the dome and exit at the top of the dome.
    Another design constraint I have is I will mostly use material I have, such as the bricks, or found, such as the fibreboard, or remains from building my house like the vermiculite.

After messing around with firebricks and weedburners in electric ovens, I'm looking forward to finally burning logs to cook my pizzas.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Crusty; 03-02-2012, 02:12 AM.

Re: 42 inch beehive in Belgium

So THAT's what Belgium looks like!?
    Nice start to your oven....

Comment

I'm this far since this weekend. I went the pour concrete in cement blocks route. It's rather strange building an over-engineered, nuclear war proof pizza oven after I built my house out of straw bales, but hey, so it goes.

Next up is pour the hearth.

I also contacted acunto to buy their cast oven door kit (EQUIPMENT FOR WOOD OVENS) , but they only sell it if you come and pick it up at the factory... That ain't happening so I'm planning on making my own out of steel. Anyone have experience with this, this person from Brooklyn did the same, haven't seen his oven finished though. I wonder if he welded a ridge along the opening on the inside?
      My (Budding) Pizza Oven: David S. with Another Brooklyn Backyard Oven | Slice Pizza Blog

Comment

Wow, two and half years since my previous update.
        I am torn between shame and excitement that I finally poured the hearth.

Comment

Why did you use spray foam in the cmu?
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

I stacked those grey bricks dry and then poured concrete in them, the foam was to plug the holes.

Comment

Ah ha. Thanks for the reply.
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

I hear ya Crusty. I'm three years into mine and am just now ready for the insulation under the oven floor.....

Comment

Ha, I'm not alone. I invited 22 people to a pizza party on the 24th of June. I told them I had a pizza oven, but forgot to mention it needed some "finishing work". So I got my ass in gear now.

I hope.

Comment

Which year did you tell them?!

Just joking.... I'm looking forward to following your build.
                    Best of luck!

Andrew

Comment

Did this yesterday.

Comment

How big is your slab there?
                        Keep the pictures coming...

Comment

Working...
                        X