Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.

The last two weeks have not been too kind to the effort, at least from the available-time perspective....there is something about getting a daughter off to college that seems to put a brake on other efforts. But it?s all good, and I actually have managed to make some progress.

I got the vent arch built, and installed the clay flue. I did the arch using splits of brick instead of whole bricks to get the 6 1/2 x 11 1/2 inch opening I wanted, and in the interest of smaller mortar joints. Given my excellent mason skills, the resulting arch isn?t truly symmetrical, but I figure it will be fronted with a decorative stone arch so that failing will ?disappear? (assuming an improved skill level!). I cut wedges of brick the width of the vent, ground out a curve in them, and cemented them in place at the sides of the vent to provide a flat surface on the top of the arch for the flue to stand on, and did the same for the rear of the vent opening where the flue rests at the juncture of the dome and the vent arch; and notched out a 1/2 inch ledge at the front of the vent opening. This worked to give me a level base, and I cemented the flue in place with Heat Stop. I then poured a 3 1/2 inch high collar around the base of the flue for stability. My plan is to pour a 4 to 1 perlite cement casing around the flue (lighter than using brick), and later face it with thin veneer stone.

I had placed two cinderblocks on either side of the vent arch, thinking both to buttress the arch and because it gave me the square look from the front that I wanted...Well, that I thought I wanted until I did it. After looking at it for a couple of days, she who must be obeyed invoked the ?in-process design change? rule, and decided that it was too big and square, so I plan to cut away the outer half of the top block---gotta love that trusty $19.95 HF angle grinder! The resulting step up from 8 to 16 inches across the front will, I hope, end up being better looking.

And with that done, I got to light my first curing fire! Hot damn! Now it is on to insulating the dome, and covering same.

Photos are attached for those with strong stomachs. The third picture shows the oven at the point before I cut away the outer half of the top CMU?s.

Comment

Lots to report! Managed to get back to work and made a good bit of progress. I did the modification to the front buttresses mentioned earlier---the boss likes the new look much better. At this point, I did several days of small fires to drive out the better part of the moisture before wrapping the dome in three layers of 1 inch Kaowool creamic blanket, and tying the whole show down with chicken wire. Since we had decided to go with the igloo look, I covered the chicken wire with 2 - 3 inches of a 4/1 perlite cement to provide a foundation for the eventual stucco finish coat. I know that a 4/1 mix doesn?t provide much in the way of additional insulation, but it was easy to work with and provided a strong, rigid finish, which were my principal objectives. Also wrapped the chimney flue in three inches of perlite cement and finished that with a coat of mortar to provide a base for the veneer stone that eventually will get applied there.

With the perlite cement coat finished, I did another series of curing fires. This may have been overkill but I had read so much on the forum about moisture being the enemy that I did not want to take any chances. As it turned out, I still ended up with a small crack when I finally fired it up all the way, but since everyone says that is not a cause for alarm, I am going to ignore it.

So we fired it up all the way last Thursday and made pizza. Used Peter Reinhart?s Neo-Neopolitan dough recipe (since all I had on hand was regular flour) which came out great, and made a white pizza first since it is the boss?s favorite. Delicious! and we followed that with others. Must learn more about keeping the floor hot and general oven management, but it was great fun for the first try and we devoured the results.

Now its time to move on finishing the outside of the build, but a lot of that is going to have to wait for a month---or even until next Spring, depending on the weather--- since we take off for Mexico next week and won?t be back until November. We?ll play it by ear.

Build photos are attached. I'm also going to post some "first pizza" photos separately---pride of accomplishment requires it!

Comment

I had mentioned in my previous post that I did end up with a couple of small cracks when I fired the oven all the way up for the first time. Even though I have concluded that I can ignore this, based on the postings I've read concerning similar occurrences, I thought I would post a couple of pictures of the culprits in case anyone wants to chime in on whether or not I'm doing the right thing.

Comment

And finally, I just had to post pictures of the first pizza and of the sign designed by the boss, which will grace the exterior of the oven when completed.

Comment

Congrats on the first pizza.........
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

We are back after a long absence---and still trying to get around to finishing the exterior of the oven. But it is functional, and we have been making good use of it, which brings me to the questionn I would like to pose to those on this form with a lot more experience than I have:

The oven has developed the long, "hairline" crack that is shown in the attached photo. This started as a 12 in long crack at the top on the first hot firing; and extended to it current length this spring. Should I be concerned, or is this just one of those things that happen? Is there anything I should be doing to try to correct this, or do we just live with it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Comment

Working...
              X