various stages in Pizza Chang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• various stages in Pizza Chang

Here are a few pics of the building of my 42" oven. As you can see, I used white "air blocks" as the insulating layer under the hearth. These measure 23x 7" x 3.5" and are super lightweight. I have them on their sides. The firebrick are called Mot 30, produced by Siam Refractory and are different than typical firebricks in the USA. These are good to 1600F and very tough to cut - they don't break easily or evenly. So my base is 7" with 4" firebrick, wall chains built on top of the hearth. For mortar, I used a Siam Refractory product - "43 AMD" high temp refractory mortar mixed with a little bit of Portland & lime. The 43 has 44% alumina, 51% silica and 1.5% iron oxide; rated at 1600F.

Re: various stages in Pizza Chang

That is the first time I've seen that! Are those 'air blocks' what we call 'insulating' firebricks? My insulating firebricks would float in water, will yours? Amazing!
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

The air blocks are not firebrick but they are insulating blocks used in more modern construction here in Thailand. I think(and hope) they withstand any downward heat that passes thru the 4" thick firebrick hearth.

Comment

I tired sending you a message, but there's no record of it, so I'll try adding on to this thread and see if that generates an email to you.

I also live in Chiang Mai and am planning to build an oven in DEC/January. Where did you get your "MOT-30" bricks. Did you drive to Lampang, order through Home Pro or ?

Thanks for any tips on gather materials I might need.

Comment

Hello, sorry we did not connect earlier. I got the fire brick from a local dealer(located on the ChiangMai/Prao Road, also known as the 1001 road.) There may be different sizes/types available but these are good to 1600F. This dealer is just past the junction of the 121/1001 road, going north toward Maejo University, look for it just after the petrol station, on the left. Other larger dealers may also have them. I got the refractory cement from him as well. This is type 43 dry mix, made by Siam Refractory. I had to order this from BKK as well as pearlite. Northern Chemical Supply(on the Superhiway, right before the traffic signal at Wat Jed Yod, going north, has pearlite in 4cuft bags. The worst problems I encountered were cutting the firebricks and getting a mix of refractory to not shrink too much. So, in retrospect, I would invest in a decent saw(I used a 4" -too small) that will cut these bricks in 1 pass; plenty of diamond blades; make all the cuts first and as accurately as possible(this will mean less refractory cement in the joints = less to shrink & crack) This way, you could just about assemble the dome dry as a test fit and work out your angles for the door arch. I use the local charcoal(contrary to the general opinion) and find it works just fine, w/ much less smoke to annoy my neighbors. Good wood is not easy to find. I had the door built of steel, double wall, filled with perlite and a fitting for the hi temp thermometer. Pizza get done in about 10 to 12 min. Full heat in about 1 to 1.5 hours. More perlite insulation would likely mean a shorter time to full heat. You can reach me at wescannon1@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
          X