New Build Oven At Granite Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Build Oven At Granite Falls

Have a question, what do you guys use to measure the internal temperature?
    Capt. Paul
    Granite Falls WA, USA.
    Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Originally posted by man7sell View Post
      Have a question, what do you guys use to measure the internal temperature?
      I am using a laser thermometer like this. Found it on Amazon. FB sells one too.
      Last edited by dvm; 09-05-2012, 11:18 PM.
      dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Hood Oven View Post
        All You Guys out in the states seem to have this oven building project off to a fine art between you .. I am now 10 days into my very first brick oven .. it is 45" wide x 18" high .. need plenty of instant heat .. but it is become very difficult after teh first 4/5 links .. Any advice around for teh best way of finishing off teh top half of teh oven .. ? ? ?
        Robin Hood - I would recommend you check out the the free Pompei oven plans available on the FB web site. They describes several methods for placing the upper courses - foam template, sand, exercise ball. Most us some variation on an "Indispensable Tool" (IT for short). there is a good link on the subject here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...idea-2573.html
        Best of luck. Consider starting a thread for your build and posting pictures.
        dvm

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by man7sell View Post
          Finally FINALLY The last key stone added, Last few interior holidays grouted. Time to burn.

OK so I don't know if this is the correct way to cure the oven, but I'm now on the third burn, each one a little hotter. I'm doing this before the insolation and final outer shell is built. Wanted to be able to fix anything that goes wrong. Anyway here it is.
          Man7Sell Once the oven is dry and you apply your insulation, Are planning an Igloo? or a "House"? You might consider re-enforcing the vertical walls of your oven entry to counter the down/outward force of the chimney: I use cinder block, Brianventura use a steel bracket.
          dvm

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dvm View Post
            Robin Hood - I would recommend you check out the the free Pompei oven plans available on the FB web site. They describes several methods for placing the upper courses - foam template, sand, exercise ball. Most us some variation on an "Indispensable Tool" (IT for short). there is a good link on the subject here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...idea-2573.html
            Best of luck. Consider starting a thread for your build and posting pictures.
            I used the IT for most of the rounds.

But the last 4 steep ones I used a round piece of ply blocked up to the correct height. Getting the ply out when it was too large for the entrance hole meant having a crescent piece cut out (Imagine a moon with a few day past full moon )

Capt. Paul
            Granite Falls WA, USA.
            Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Man7Sell Once the oven is dry and you apply your insulation, Are planning an Igloo? or a "House"? You might consider re-enforcing the vertical walls of your oven entry to counter the down/outward force of the chimney: I use cinder block, Brianventura use a steel bracket.
              Good point. The end result will be an igloo shape. I will check out Brian's steel bracket. I am making a steel bracket for the inner entrance door (poor planning, don't ask )
              Capt. Paul
              Granite Falls WA, USA.
              Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

I am using a laser thermometer like this. Found it on Amazon. FB sells one too.
                Nice. I think Harbor freight has one on sale.
                Capt. Paul
                Granite Falls WA, USA.
                Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

OK Ugly mug shot with my new pizza peel called of course Emma

Cheers

Paul
                  Last edited by man7sell; 09-07-2012, 07:30 AM.
                  Capt. Paul
                  Granite Falls WA, USA.
                  Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Congratulations! you are nearly Pizza Ready!
                    dvm

sigpic

Comment

Off to the property today, see if I can get the insulation on the dome dome and the outer crust applied ready for mosaic. The outer layer, add vermiculite to the mix?
                      Capt. Paul
                      Granite Falls WA, USA.
                      Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

So it sounds like you are going Igloo. No experience here but you will need insulation, a support layer, then "waterproof" stucco as an outer shell (mosaic tiles on top look cool). The insulation layer can be ceramic fiber blanket - OR I suspect there have been igloo insulated with a v-crete concoction - But such a layer would not be waterproof and would need to be covered.
                        dvm

sigpic

Comment

So it sounds like you are going Igloo. No experience here but you will need insulation, a support layer, then "waterproof" stucco as an outer shell (mosaic tiles on top look cool). The insulation layer can be ceramic fiber blanket - OR I suspect there have been igloo insulated with a v-crete concoction - But such a layer would not be waterproof and would need to be covered.
                          That's the plan, Fiber blanket covered with wire mesh for the out stucco to attach too. The stucco is blended with verisite and plastered on. This will be done in several layers to give it strength, Not sure how thick I should make this as the first layer feels like a candy shell of a M&M that lost it's peanut

Working on the design for mosaic with my wife, collecting and tiles we can to recycle for this task.

Capt. Paul
                          Granite Falls WA, USA.
                          Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Looking good!
                            dvm

sigpic

Comment

The oven gets a final coat of mortar to make it smooth for the Mosaic. My neighbor did the final coat, he is very good.

Capt. Paul
                              Granite Falls WA, USA.
                              Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Made some pizza dough Thursday evening. Friday went out to the property and got the oven warmed up. Worked the dough into a perfect disk (NOT )
                                Simple topping of tomatoes and mushrooms precooked in a cast iron skillet in the oven. Simple tomato sauce, fresh basil, and of course mozzarella.

WooooHoooo FIRST PIZZA

This is bar far the best pizza I can remember (remember being the operative word)

Yummmmmm

Capt. Paul
                                Granite Falls WA, USA.
                                Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Working...
                                X