• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• man7sell
    replied
    Re: New Build Oven At Granite Falls

Originally posted by dvm View Post
    You are making good progress - and I see the wood is already stacked. The only wood I have around my place is stained with cement having been used for forms!
    Yes, lots of wood stacked, that's just a small portion. I have at least a dozen more trees to fell, buck, cut, split, and then stack. (I call the place the Pilchuck Health Club) Most of this wood will be used in the fire pit next to the oven, then later in the main house when it is built. What I'm looking for is local people that have apple or other fruit trees that need trimming or felling. Those would make for good oven wood. Have chain saw will travel

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

You are making good progress - and I see the wood is already stacked. The only wood I have around my place is stained with cement having been used for forms!

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Checking my angles and it seams I'm right on track. I set up a flat pattern side profile to work out how each tier angle would have to be cut.....So far so good said the man falling off a cliff.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Just when I had my angles and bevels figured out, the dome curved over and the angles (which had been in creasing slowly needed to decrease and the bevel which seemed like it would never change has increased rapidly and dramatically on the last few courses! Mortar saves the day.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

I am with you (in Rome?) with a 42 inch diameter and 19 inch dome height (So I planned - we will see the true height soon enough). I tapered my bricks for the course front to back, and beveled the sides to minimize the "inverted V" are you also also cutting the top and bottom of the brick? If so very cool .... and you will be using a LOT of bricks.
    Just the bottom of the bricks so far. Some update photos to follow from this weekend

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

I am with you (in Rome?) with a 42 inch diameter and 19 inch dome height (So I planned - we will see the true height soon enough). I tapered my bricks for the course front to back, and beveled the sides to minimize the "inverted V" are you also also cutting the top and bottom of the brick? If so very cool .... and you will be using a LOT of bricks.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Looks like good progress. Are you planning a spherical dome or something lower?
    It is a lower design half way between the Tuscan and the Neapolitan. The Naples for a 42" diameter has the roof at a low 15.5 inches while the Tuscan is 21". Mine is more a hybrid with an oven height around 19". This places my oven (per Google Earth) around about Rome. So mine would be a Romany oven?

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Looks like good progress. Are you planning a spherical dome or something lower?

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Originally posted by ShannonCorum View Post
    Did you use 5000psi concrete or something equivalent? My hearth is about 3 1/2 thick. But I know very little about how much weight concrete can hold. I do have rebar in mine. Quite a bit. Your cinderblock structure looks great! I like the concrete pad underneath. Will make your area very clean looking.
    No idea what the strength rating of the concrete is. Rebar should support the load.

The concrete pad underneath was the work of my next door neighbor out there. He was really good at it. Later we will add mosaic tile on it to match whatever design we come up with for the oven

Leave a comment:

• ShannonCorum
    replied

Did you use 5000psi concrete or something equivalent? My hearth is about 3 1/2 thick. But I know very little about how much weight concrete can hold. I do have rebar in mine. Quite a bit. Your cinderblock structure looks great! I like the concrete pad underneath. Will make your area very clean looking.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Made a version of the indispensable tool (IT) for the dome build. Used hardware from Home Depot and stuff I had laying around. Works great and is fully adjustable. Up to the third course now. At this point it is time to build the entranceway to allow the intersection of the dome to tie in with the entrance.

Each brick gets cut 3 ways to radius the dome and create to dome profile.

Here's the IT made from a castor wheel I had and a piece of threaded rod. (Never throw anything away right?).

OK, don't get a photo of me everyday, usually the one taking the photos.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Huh, must be my other computer's java is out of date. Works from my MAC Update to come.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

I was trying to do an update using photobucket today but the site's not working correctly today. I will try from another computer

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

man7sell
    How goes the build?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Since the perimeter of the oven is the only thing that touches the hearth, it is the only place were there is ANY weight, other than the brick of the floor (and the perimeter of the hearth slab will have weight if there is an enclosure).
    Yes true, I was thinking of an igloo which has very little mass outside the inner dome.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X