X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: New Build Oven At Granite Falls

Since the perimeter of the oven is the only thing that touches the hearth, it is the only place were there is ANY weight, other than the brick of the floor (and the perimeter of the hearth slab will have weight if there is an enclosure).

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Actually Tom, if you study it a bit more carefully you find that the heaviest part of the oven is not at the perimeter, but somewhere closer in. For this reason I believe that a cantileverd stand, under the supporting slab is a stronger solution. Ultimately is doesn't really matter so long as the thing is strong enough so it doesn't fail.
    Well to be safe, I've installed an adjustable steel building support post and a large steel disk on the top of the post (It was laying around the property so perfect and free). The post will not really get in the way of the wood storage.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    If you do the calculation for the weight of a full brick oven from the hearth up, you will find the required PSI of the hearth slab to be incredibly low. Factor in where the majority of the weight is (the perimeter), and a solid 2" slab will probably be fine. Add another 2" if you want, it won't hurt anything.
    Actually Tom, if you study it a bit more carefully you find that the heaviest part of the oven is not at the perimeter, but somewhere closer in. For this reason I believe that a cantileverd stand, under the supporting slab is a stronger solution. Ultimately is doesn't really matter so long as the thing is strong enough so it doesn't fail.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Found them at Harbison-Walker Refactories in Kent.
    19817 8th Ave S Suite D
    Kent, WA
    Manager's name is Daniel.

They were $20 a piece. They have larger but get exponentially more as they get bigger.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Looking good. Curious about where you found the 12 x 12 firebrick tiles? I looked for something like that locally (I am in Seattle) and could not find them

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Second course laid, these are all wedge shaped to start the roof line.

Third course much less of a wedge and sides cut to go around the circle. The remaining bricks will have a slightly shallower wedge and progressively more of side cut angles as the dome climbs. These are all hand laid. Need to decide on which system to use to finish the rest of the brick courses.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Boy miss counted here, my opening is too small. 2 soldiers removed and the entrance rebuilt. That's better, bigger pizzas

Leave a comment:

• Iangarner0
    replied

Started my first and probably only, pizza oven build. We bought a half acre next to the Pilchuck river. The pizza oven will be part of the outdoor kitchen.

Progress so far is the base built. Oven bricks, FB, Insulation material, etc purchased. Design will be a 42 inch inside 21 inch oven height.

Here's pics of the base.

thanks for sharing

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Cut the Fiber Board (FB) to size being careful to place the board with enough room at the rear to hold the outer casement of the oven. To orient the cooking surface brick I used a speed square to get a 45 degree angle.

First 12"12 tile laid.

Tiles going down. The firebrick cuts like butter on a tile saw.

First course of vertical bricks being laid.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Got back to Granite Falls. Measured the thickness of the slab and it's just shy of 3" and 3.5" inside the foundation (The ply form was set .5" lower than the top of the cement blocks.) So some photos to foloow.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    An example:

Using the FB plans for a 42" 1 get around 1500# add 500# for slop, 2000#.

Circumference of a 42" is 132"x the width of a brick (4.5) = 594 Square Inches.

2000#/594 SqIn= 3.36 pounds per SqIn load. Assuming a normal concrete mix, it will have a 2500-3000 PSI rating in compressive strength and a comparable figure in tensile strength.
    Math...Gotta love it.... now my head hurts

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

An example:

Using the FB plans for a 42" 1 get around 1500# add 500# for slop, 2000#.

Circumference of a 42" is 132"x the width of a brick (4.5) = 594 Square Inches.

2000#/594 SqIn= 3.36 pounds per SqIn load. Assuming a normal concrete mix, it will have a 2500-3000 PSI rating in compressive strength and a comparable figure in tensile strength.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Yep thanks Tscarborough and Laku. I will add the 2" and re-bar for piece of mind (and because I haven't mixed enough concrete yet...... )

Tried a few cuts on firebrick to work out some angles. Glad we bought a professional grate tile cutting a couple of years back when my friend left the construction business. He had used it for only one bathroom project so it is like new. Cuts through them bricks like butter

Leave a comment:

• Laku
    replied

Heh, and there you have it.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

If you do the calculation for the weight of a full brick oven from the hearth up, you will find the required PSI of the hearth slab to be incredibly low. Factor in where the majority of the weight is (the perimeter), and a solid 2" slab will probably be fine. Add another 2" if you want, it won't hurt anything.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X