New Build in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build in the UK

So following on from my introduction thread, this is my new build. I had made an oven before (and failed miserably) as a 12 year old - but it ended up a (very large) cube of clay bricks and steel angle-irons with no airflow and wouldn't light without petrol.

So here's my first "educated" attempt...

Breaking ground & Digging the pit for the foundation
    Breaking Ground - Worf Helps Out! - YouTube">Breaking Ground - Worf Helps Out! - YouTube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
    (not sure if there's an embedded player supported here for youtube - so here's the link: Breaking Ground - Worf Helps Out! - YouTube)

Laying the foundation breeze blocks and hardcore/rubble

The outer wall is now halfway up - and I'm starting to make the shapes for the arches out of foam board...

Re: New Build in the UK

Can't post more than 5 pics at a time... so here's another post!

Arch then goes up (still needs grouting... didn't feel confident doing the mortaring and grouting in one step!)

Detail of the rebar inside the bricks - this specific one is the bricks that stick out of the wall to support the arch:

Other angle on the arch - not perfect, but it is my first arch ever after all!
    Last edited by Spinal; 07-30-2012, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Finally (for today); detail of the rebar on the inside (set in mortar to get the height right). These will form the core of 4 (maybe 6) pillars that will add strength to the structure. concrete will be poured in once the walls are at the right height, so the concrete bonds to the bricks on 2 sides and the floor/foundation/concrete slab on the bottom.

Note that as this is the inside surface of the "under-oven" area; it's not cleaned out and the mortar is just left as is in the joints. Does it add strength? No idea... but it certainly doesn't take any away - so it's there

Comment

I did the same with my concrete block base, who cares, nobody see it , spend your time and skill where is visible...................like what you are doing.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Spinal View Post
          Can't post more than 5 pics at a time... so here's another post!

Arch then goes up (still needs grouting... didn't feel confident doing the mortaring and grouting in one step!)

Detail of the rebar inside the bricks - this specific one is the bricks that stick out of the wall to support the arch:

Other angle on the arch - not perfect, but it is my first arch ever after all!
          Looking good!

I wasn't confident about building an arch straight on, so I built both of mine round a wood former, on a frame. You always have this option if yours doesn't go to plan.

This is my inner arch under construction.

Comment

Realised I haven't posted an update for a while!

Right, so the concrete floor went in before I went on holiday. Took the chance to dunk both my other half and my dog in, so I have hand/paw prints in the concrete... (and had a friend come over to water the concrete when it didn't rain).

Got back last week, and over the weekend I started building the support to pour the concrete slab.

The base is now done (using about 15 wooden supports underneath - strong enough to support 2 people jumping on top ) - but the sides are temporary.

I still need to re-inforce the sides so that when the concrete is poured they don't end up bulging. Hoping to do that this week during the week, so I can pour over the weekend.

Picture attached.

M.

Comment

Those pissy little lathes wont hold, they will bulge with the side load of concrete.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                Those pissy little lathes wont hold, they will bulge with the side load of concrete.
                See previous message...

Originally posted by Spinal View Post
                The base is now done (using about 15 wooden supports underneath - strong enough to support 2 people jumping on top ) - but the sides are temporary.

I still need to re-inforce the sides so that when the concrete is poured they don't end up bulging. Hoping to do that this week during the week, so I can pour over the weekend.

Picture attached.

M.

Comment

M,

I did not think WFOs ever got Holidays, at least that is what the better half tells me. Going to watch your build with interest. LIke your brick base. Afraid my "finish" mason skills are lacking but I can fill the gap with mortar with the best of em....
                  Russell

Comment

Two of the pics aren't showing up... thought I would upload them here in case the image host dies...

Still not decided on how to do the top... part of me wants to make it out of bricks, part out of board... and another just wants to make a dome!

M.

Comment

Also realised I had a gap in the story!

Moulds for reinforcing pillars go up:

View of these from the top; where you can see some stainless rebar:

Meanwhile - I poured some concrete into the BBQ area nearby. Some issues around the manhole cover as the existing concrete was cracked... ended up removing most of it and pouring fresh one to make a single slab. This will probably be covered by slate at some point.

While waiting, I started playing with some faces for the front of the oven...

M.

Comment

Then,

Poured concrete into the moulds: (note that there is some seepage on the sides, but I'm not too concerned about that as it'll all be hidden from view)

Floor gets poured once the wooden moulds are removed (yups, it's rough... but it'll be hidden from view, so I wasn't worried. Also, it may get covered subsequently if I end up doing my cart/drawer idea! - but you can see the various prints in it)

And finally, a celebratory hug!
                        Last edited by Spinal; 07-30-2012, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Right - concrete floating slab now poured!

Reinforcing wood now up; temporary ones removed after I put some concrete to get the corners in the right places:

Measuring the 15mm steel rebar reinforcing mesh.

Steel cut, and bound together with some wire (was going to weld it, then realised I was out of gas and couldn't be bothered to goto the store).

M

Comment

Concrete poured and smoothed to check if it's level (I then roughed it up a bit so that the vermicrete will bond to it)

The keener amongst you will notice that it's not a perfect 10cm thick as originally planned, it's actually closer to 12-14 cm thick. Shouldn't be a problem, but I may need to raise the floor (where the pizza chef will stand) a bit as it may end up to high!

M

Comment

M,

Making headway, pretty soon oven brick work.............based on your base brick work, it should be a breeze for you.
                              Russell

Comment

Working...
                              X