Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36" oven build near Charleston, SC.

"The oven landing itself is large,"

Is this going to be covered ? If so you might find that you will have some difficulty working the oven if you have lean into a deep covered landing.

Maybe mock it up with cardboard or something and see how easy/convenient it is to work your peels in the oven, or reach in to place or retrieve pots.
    Last edited by Neil2; 07-14-2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. Please keep them coming!! Yes, the landing is large, but the whole thing will not be covered, nor will the oven be inside of another structure or "house." I am simply going to wrap it with 3" of FB blanket, chicken wire it and then stucco over it. I am going to build the opening arch/chimney vent as per FB pompeii oven instructions, and then the rest of the landing beyond that arch will be uncovered. I don't forsee any trouble being able to reach all the way into the back of the oven once it is completed to tend to my fire or rake out the ashes. Thanks again to everyone for their comments and tips. I'm off to cut some more bricks!!

Comment

Been a long while since I've updated. My oven build has slowly continued, and I'm happy with what I have built so far. This oven is far, FAR from perfect. Neither is it the best looking thing going. I'm fairly confident that I'm going to cook some excellent pizzas in it sometime soon, though! Here are the pics.

Comment

the arch transition gave me fits. i built it and tore it down twice before i finally got it to work.

So this is where I sit as of now. I will try to get row nine in tomorrow, but that depends on whether or not my bricks start sliding. So far so good. I have bought an exercise ball to serve as my form once the bricks do begin to slide. Hopefully that will work for me. If not, I'll try a sand form. Thanks for looking!

Comment

Consider using a plywood disk and car jack, then it is easily removed to clean mortar joint or adjust after each chain. Look at Gulf's or Karangi Dude's build to see the process.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Just thowing this idea in there. Using a string and counter weights.
              String and counterwieght
              Also, this post on the subject by TScarborough shows that the technique is used on a large scale. Checkout his post and pic here on post #37 .

I would give it a try if I had it to do over
              EDIT: As Russell recomends, Karangi Dude's removable platform and a car jack did work great for me also.
              Last edited by Gulf; 12-08-2012, 04:30 PM. Reason: Update
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Well, it appears that I have made a miscalculation. I failed to take into account the height of the swivel I used in my indespensable tool, and as a result, the interior height of my dome is going to be 20.5" as opposed to the 18" called for by the plans. My entry arch is 12" high by 19" wide, as called for. Do you think that the extra 2.5 inches in ceiling height will affect the way the chimney draws? I can't believe that I'm just now noticing this on row number nine. My options are to continue like this for the last couple rows and have the 20.5" interior dome height, or try to "flatten" the last couple rows to keep the height closer to the 18" that it currently is on row nine. Thanks, guys.

Comment

Slow,

I looked at your pics closer and it did not appear that there is a reveal in inner arch. Maybe I can't see from the pictures but in may pose an issue with the door. I don't think the extra two inches in dome height will be a factor. You have a huge chimney opening, just don't pinch the final chimney size too small. I think Tscar had some ratios of oven opening to chimney somewhere in one of his threads.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Slowly but Maybe View Post
                    Well, it appears that I have made a miscalculation. I failed to take into account the height of the swivel I used in my indespensable tool, and as a result, the interior height of my dome is going to be 20.5" as opposed to the 18" called for by the plans. My entry arch is 12" high by 19" wide, as called for. Do you think that the extra 2.5 inches in ceiling height will affect the way the chimney draws? I can't believe that I'm just now noticing this on row number nine. My options are to continue like this for the last couple rows and have the 20.5" interior dome height, or try to "flatten" the last couple rows to keep the height closer to the 18" that it currently is on row nine. Thanks, guys.
                    I would say it won't really affect the oven, but why not adjust the height while you can? FWIW, to my eye in one of your pictures it looks like with the last course of bricks your dome is coning-out - e.g. getting pointy instead of round. I had this problem at about the same course and ended up knocking off the bricks and relaying them.

As for the form, I think with the right mortar mix it is not really necessary. I didn't use one at all for my dome.
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Gudday
                      The 63 per cent ratio that is quoted by all was the average door to roof height over a number of 18 centery ovens in a study done in Canada during the seventies. I can check out a ref for you when u get home if you like.
                      The main point is that is is an average over a number of working ovens . Some higher some lower but an a average none the less .From my knowledge I believe that as long as it is under 2/3 of the oven height it should be right. Yes I have a friend with a tunnel oven if I remember rightly it is 52 per cent and it works well
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Gudday
                        Ref is "The Bread Ovens of Quebec" Lise Boilyand Jean-Francois Blanchette
                        (1979 ). Its avaliable as a free downloadable PDF through the Quebec Museum

Regards Dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Finished out my dome today. Guys, this thing isn't pretty or nice, but I think it's going to get the job done. Looking forward to attaching the chimeny and burning some fires!!

I never did fix the "coning" that came as a result of a flaw in my indespensible tool design. I think it's still going to cook pizzas just fine. I have two full rolls of FB blanket that I will be cladding the dome with once I get it dried out, and then of course wire and stucco, with ceramic tiles around the mouth and floor base. Chimney is an 8"x48" double-walled stainless pipe, screwing onto a duravent 8" anchor plate. Should get that in sometime next week. I'm about 50 weeks into this project now, and feel great to have completed the brickwork.

Comment

I'm limited to four images per post, so here are the rest of the pictures.

Comment

And you did it sans form... congrats!!

I think it looks great, and I know how good it feels to get that last brick set in place
                              My build progress
                              My WFO Journal on Facebook
                              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I've made some progress this past week. I got the anchor plate and chimney in place, and I've insulated and covered it with wire. yesterday was my first small fire. I got it up to 150-200 degrees at times, and burned it for about 30 minutes. Today, I went up to 250-300 degrees, and burned it for about an hour and a half. I'm guessing that I'm ok to push on up to 350-400 tomorrow. Does that sound right? Am I burning for long enough?

Here are today's pics:

So far, the chimney seems to draw really well. I am seeing vortexes in the ashes on the oven floor underneath the flue, and virtually all of the smoke is going out of the chimney. I am guessing that once I get up to some real temperatures the chimney should draw even better. I have to say that I'm very pleased with what I have built here. I can't wait to finish this thing up and do some cooking.

Comment

Working...
                                X