36" oven build near Charleston, SC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36" oven build near Charleston, SC.

After a hiatus, I have gone back to work on my oven. I started on this thing back in February, but the build has dragged on because I have just been way too busy with work and other things. Anyway, I'm stoked to be back at it, and I hope to be done within the next 4-5 weeks. Pics to follow.

This is day one, digging the footing.
    Last edited by Slowly but Maybe; 02-02-2013, 04:57 PM. Reason: grammar

Re: 36" oven build near Charleston, SC.

Welcome Slow,

Good luck on the build. Hope you can get er done in 4-5 weeks. I have going since May and looking maybe end of August. There are great ideas and resources on this forum. See "Lburou" treasure archives in the Newbie section for a sample of some of the best builds around.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks, Russell. Today I finished the oven floor and laid the soldier course for the dome, but I can only post one pic at a time and it has to be approved by a moderator before the post becomes visible here, unfortunately.

Edit: Here is the footing

Last edited by Slowly but Maybe; 07-13-2012, 07:25 PM. Reason: added picture

Comment

Originally posted by Slowly but Maybe View Post
        Thanks, Russell. Today I finished the oven floor and laid the soldier course for the dome, but I can only post one pic at a time and it has to be approved by a moderator before the post becomes visible here, unfortunately.
        I'm not so sure about that ,but you may be right. You may be able to link to your web album or photo source IE: Photobucket,Picasso etc.
        Sounds like you have got a lot done since this pic. Can you tell us a little about it? Size and type oven you are building. Size of the stand and hearth. Insulation under the floor brick etc.? You just signed on with a bunch of nosey folks .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

when you want to post a picture: Go advanced, click the paperclip, and chose the pix you'd like to embed as thumbnails in your post. much faster and easier for readers to load. works better than linking

you'll have the rights to post more pix very quickly IIRC
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

base coming together:

Comment

Angle iron ended up off-center, but should be hidden by stucco when it's all said and done:

Comment

Ready to pour the hearth:

Last edited by Slowly but Maybe; 07-13-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Hearth all poured:

Comment

Insulation and floor bricks cut and laid out:

Comment

Mock-up of first course:

This is as far as I have gotten. I plan on laying in the first course properly tomorrow and mortaring it up. Still have to make "the indespensible tool" tomorrow. I hope to get that done and get the second course in, too. I have absolutely zero experience/skill with this type of work, but I am learning as I go, and having fun in the process. I don't think my oven will be artistic or perfect from an aesthetic standpoint. I am shooting for a decent looking oven that functions well, and I think I am on track to achieve that (hopefully!). I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for looking and for any input that anyone might have!!

PS. I can't recall the dimensions of the base, stand and hearth, but will try to measure up and post that info tomorrow for you. Like I said, it isn't going to be a work of art, but hopefully the pizzas produced in it will be!!

Comment

Looks like a 56"X56" stand + a 1.5" overhang all around. Maybe a 59" x 59" hearth. What inside diameter is your dome going to be? What size inner arch? Looks like a very large entry.
                        Sorry,I forgot my manners. Welcome to the forum .

Edit: The size of the dome is right in the title .
                        Last edited by Gulf; 07-14-2012, 05:38 AM.
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf, thanks for the welcome. The oven landing itself is large, but the actual entry for the dome will be 19" wide by 12" high, as per FB pompeii oven instructions.

Comment

Geat door size. The plans are a very valuable gift from FB. I'm buiding a large landing too. There are a lot of reasons not to build one that large, though. Most shoot for as small a landing as possible. I'm just wondering if you have thought that part of it all the way through?
                            Last edited by Gulf; 07-14-2012, 08:27 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a good start. You might want to think about another inch of insulation under the oven.
                              My build progress
                              My WFO Journal on Facebook
                              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                              X