My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA

I received the last of my material from Cape Town and started with my build.

I decided to enlarge an existing concrete slab next to my fireplace. Here are some pics of my progress.

My current entertainment area; Same area after some brickwork where the slab will be enlarged; My trusted (and very old) De Walt radial arm saw to cut bricks; Cut bricks of my floor and soldier course laid out.

I will post pics of my progress and will appreciate any input or comments form other members.
    sigpic

Check out the link to my build and pictures here

Re: My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA

Cool location! and I like what you are doing with the sunken IT.

Since you are just getting started, can you check out the dome calculator spreadsheet I posted in the tips and tools forum and see if it works for you? I would love feedback on any bugs builders see.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Awesome dome calculator. It seems the 200 bricks I purchased might be enough for the dome, floor and hopefully also the arch. I wll check the numbers against the calculations of your tool.
      sigpic

Comment

Today I cast the concrete to enlarge the slab for the oven and also cut the fire bricks for the inner arch and first course. Hopefully will be able to start with the build Monday after work.

Here are some pics of the extended slab.
        sigpic

Comment

Here are some pics of my progress today.

First one shows the FB board levelled on dry sand/fireclay mix. Also a small amount of the same mix on top for levelling of the firebricks.

Other two pics of soldier and first course.

I already cut the bricks for this over the weekend; so I think I made good progress today after work.

My work space with this corner build is unfortunately a little cramped and will give my back a good workout.
          sigpic

Comment

Second course completed.
            sigpic

Comment

Got quit a bit of work done during the week and yesterday. I now completed the fifth course and should complete the arch transition with the sixth course.

The fifth was definitely the last course where I could sit inside the dome to build. As you can see on the attached photo I already struggled to squeeze my 6ft4" frame in. I will now have to stand in a very uncomfortable position to complete the rest of this corner build.

It is however extremely satisfying to see the progress to date. This is definately a LOT of fun!
              sigpic

Comment

Looks really great...

Are you converting the braai area that was here before?

Are all the materials freely available in SA?
                / Rossco

Comment

Hi heliman

I am building the oven on an existing concrete slab (workspace) next to the fireplace which will remain as is. The oven will therefore sit right next to the fireplace when finished. I think it will be pretty awesome when done.

Yes, all the materials are readily available in SA. I had to courier some of the refractory material from Cape Town, which is a 450 km trip.
                  sigpic

Comment

Howzit - I was in PE a few weeks ago and just wasn't able to get a proper pizza anywhere. Seems like WFOs are few and far between there. Maybe I will have to pop down the Garden Route to your place when I'm next there and in need of a tasty snack!

Good luck with the build ...
                    / Rossco

Comment

Rossco

What brings you to PE? Are you from this area? I actually grew up in the Eastern Cape. You are most welcome to visit us in the Garden route when next you visit SA. We can swop some stories over a lager or brandy.
                      sigpic

Comment

Here are some pics of the progress since my last post.

My arch transition is now complete and the dome is beginning to take shape.

The other photos shows the mini downlight that will be positioned in one of the outer arch bricks. For this I drilled holes into the brick, one of which had to be enlarged with the grinder so that the downlight would fit snugly. I wrapped the light fitting and electrical cord in some ceramic blanket and will also be installing a heat break between arches to minimize the possibility of damage from hot bricks. A box for the light switch will be fitted in the outer layer of the dome.
                        sigpic

Comment

Finished the last course and the keystone today - what a feeling to finish that dome! I used the IT all the way without any other forms - it really worked wonderfully well.

Here are some pics of the keystone going in, inside of the dome and the start on the outer arch. I installed a vermicrete heat break between the arches and also between the dome tiles and landing tiles. It is great to see that everything is now starting to take shape.
                          sigpic

Comment

Since my last post I finished the outer arch and then pulled the support over the weekend.

The second picture shows two bricks cut so that the stainless steel flue can fit snugly. This looks scew because I held the camera at a angle!

Will probably start with some curing fires next week. About the same time I will add 3" ceramic blanket insulation. This I will later cover with a layer of vermicrete - then final decorative outer layer and finish.

I also started working on a door - the inside will be stainless steel, then vermicrete and decorative blackwood finish for the back. Will also try to make a blackwood pizza peel. I will post some more pics later.
                            sigpic

Comment

Stainless steel flue (still in plastic covering) installed. Had to bend the first section back 150mm so that it could miss an overhead beam where the pipe passes through my roof.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X