Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA

Wotavidone

It is a real pity that that is the only impression that many SA expats leave of South Africa. Like any country out there we certainly have our challenges. As far as I am concerned we live in one of the best places in the world. Our family certainly leads a happy and normal life.
    sigpic

Check out the link to my build and pictures here

Comment

I built a door to keep in the heat once I start with the curing process. For this I riveted aluminium angles onto the plywood originally used as form for my inner arch. This was then filled with vermiculite and then bolted onto a stainless steel plate. I also screwed stainless steel handles onto the plywood. Started with the curing process and have to say that it seems that the door works very well.

Last pic shows the door in position and also the tiling finish around the oven.

Will start with the 3" blanket insulation next week. I have quite a bit of vermiculite - is it really necessary to add a layer of vermicrete over the blanket, or can the final plaster layer be done directly on the chicken wire? Any input will be appreciated.
      sigpic

Comment

Sorry - just seen this post now....

My dad lives in PE. I grew up there and go and see my dad at least once a year. Thanks for the invite - may take a drive down to CT on the next trip and hopefully see your masterpiece along the way!!

Originally posted by Outeniqua View Post
        Rossco

What brings you to PE? Are you from this area? I actually grew up in the Eastern Cape. You are most welcome to visit us in the Garden route when next you visit SA. We can swop some stories over a lager or brandy.
        / Rossco

Comment

Since my last post I covered the dome with 3" of ceramic blanket, chicken wire and about 1" of vermicrete to serve as base for the final finish.

Here are some pics showing the progress. In the one photo the light switch cover can be seen - I will finish around this properly with the final plaster layer.

Lastly the dome will then be covered in a decorative CreteStone layer with a terra cotta oxide. At last beginning to see the final product!
          sigpic

Comment

Looks great. My brother in-law has some very similar to this, great choice IMO.

Comment

Since my last post we made our first pizzas. It was a roaring success. The first two pics shows the fire on pizza night. The oven heated beautifully. The second pic shows the first pizza - a creation of my son. I have to say that our first pizzas were way better than we expected the first attempt to be.

Two days later the oven cooled enough and I finished the plaster coat over the dome. The last pics show the plaster coat and also the effectiveness of my installed light. I have to say that I am really happy that I installed the light - it is really awesome. I cannot imagine having to hold a flashlight when cooking pizzas - how would I then be able to hold my beer?
              sigpic

Comment

The oven looks really great ... and the pizza lekker!
                / Rossco

Comment

I purchased a stainless steel pizza peel and decided to also try my hand at making one from solid cape blackwood (a beautiful wood indigenous to SA).

Here is a photo of my son holding one of two peels I made as well as the remaining piece of dried blackwood they were made from.
                  sigpic

Comment

Another one
                    sigpic

Comment

After some alterations to my braai room I finally put the finishing touches to my oven and covered the plaster coat with texture paint. Here are some pics of the finished product.

The oven is absolutely awsesome!! Thank you very much to everybody who contributed to this build by posting on this wonderful site.
                      sigpic

Comment

Very nice looking peels. The blackwood has a lot of depth to it compared to the peels I have. Congrats on the completion of the oven.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Outeniqua View Post
                          After some alterations to my braai room I finally put the finishing touches to my oven and covered the plaster coat with texture paint. Here are some pics of the finished product.

The oven is absolutely awsesome!! Thank you very much to everybody who contributed to this build by posting on this wonderful site.
                          Excellent !!!!!

Comment

Awesome, is all i can say. What a great place to hang out. I love it. Would you happen to have pictures of that light installed in place? Thats a great idea. What did you do to make sure it doesn't get affected by the heat from the oven. Thanks.
                            Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
                              Awesome, is all i can say. What a great place to hang out. I love it. Would you happen to have pictures of that light installed in place? Thats a great idea. What did you do to make sure it doesn't get affected by the heat from the oven. Thanks.

Hi V-Wiz.
                              Have a look at posts 12, 14 and 15 of this thread which shows the installation and where the brick sits in the outer arch. Post 21 shows the electrical wire that runs through the brick and then immediately over the ceramic fire blanket over the dome. I also wrapped the light fitting and wire in a layer of ceramic fire blanket and taped that with masking tape. This can be seen in some of the pics. I figured that because the brick sits in the outer arch and on the other side of my fire break this should do the trick - so far so good. I have to say that you really do not need the light when baking pizzas because the coals give more than enough light to see properly. You are more than welcome to contact me should you require more help.
                              sigpic

Comment

Awesome thanks but what i mean was a picture installed in place under the arch
                                Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Working...
                                X