Richmond new outdoor kitchen pizza oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Richmond new outdoor kitchen pizza oven build

The oven is on an 8" vermicrete base. The dome insulation will be 1 layer of blanket followed by 6-8" of loose vermiculite (the "house" will be filled).

Originally posted by Jmar View Post
    I don't see any insulation on your oven. How wide did you make yoir stand? I'm getting concrete poured for mine hopefully by next week. And then we can get started on the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by sclancy View Post
      The oven is on an 8" vermicrete base. The dome insulation will be 1 layer of blanket followed by 6-8" of loose vermiculite (the "house" will be filled).
      My base is the "std" Pompeill plan base - 69 x 76. My Volta modular oven is a bit smaller than a 42" Pompeii

Comment

hey sean, I sent you an pm regarding your left-over vermiculite. Mcgills warehouse is out of blankets for the next six weeks.

Comment

Really Really Great!!! The stone claddings are also awesome.

Comment

Another week and a bit more progress. Managed to build 4 fires this week to begin the process of drying out the vermicrete slab. Most of the house and roof are up and partially sheathed. Managed to get nearly 2 layers of blanket over the whole oven out of one box. Hopefully by next week I ll get a few more fires in and get it all buttoned up and filled up with vermiculite.

A big thanks to BOYLANTA for emailing me offline and helping out with the roof trusses/pitch/venting etc!

Comment

Well last night I was finally able to get a hot enough fire to clear the dome and to get floor temps next to the fire in the 500+ range. I spread all of the coals across the floor put the door on and let it go overnight. Another fire or two hopefully and I will be good to go. I have kept the vermicrete base exposed and covered the oven with a tarp only in the event of rain.

Comment

The house is complete (sorry no pics today) but still no roof.....but I am tired of waiting and after another 4+hr fire over the weekend my entire dome down to the floor finally went white. So....I made 3 different batches of dough Mon night (whole wheat and 2 caputo "00") using the FB recipe and Tscarborough's minimal kneeding technique and popped it in the fridge for a 3 day retard/gluten build. Planning to fire up the oven on Thurs and make the first pizzas for the family...pics to come of the house, the first cooking fire and of course the pizzas....fingers crossed.

Comment

house is "complete".....roof and soffits left to do before the stone cladding.

Comment

The dome is clear and the first pizzas are in!!! A day later than I planned ( I got rained out yesterday trying to cook for the first time on my daughter's birthday).

Comment

The finished product....ahhh. Now I just need to the structure finished!!

Comment

congratulations on the first pizzas.

How long did it take to fire your oven before the dome went white?

Comment

thanks. I finally got the dome fully white after a 4+ hr burn (this followed a number of smaller fires over 2 wks). The next time it took about 2+hrs. This last time the dome was fully white in about an hour. It is combination I think of the oven being dryer and my fire building skills improving....I hope to fire again tomorrow and will post up how long it takes.

Comment

Finally got the soffits closed in with PVC board, filled the house with vermiculite and got the roof on. Granite counters will be this week and then just need to finish up the stone.

Comment

Just picked up the granite. 62 sqft of 3cm black galaxy for $22 psf. Could not be happier with the quality, price and the look. .... The home stretch....

Comment

Very nice. I am in the "lay out" stage of my outdoor kitchen. I need to find that kit, shipping from CA is huge! I'm just down the highway fom you.

Milt

Comment

Working...
                                X