Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven Build in Asheville, NC

Rob,

Making good progress. As you make your arch form, be sure to leave enough relief to remove the form. Also save the form as a template for your door. Good luck.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I had not thought of saving the form as a pattern for the door.

Still thinking about how to cut the bricks for the arch. I have not made the form yet so maybe the path will become clear after I get the form made and a layout done, at least on paper.
      Earth's crammed with heaven, But only he who sees takes off his shoes - E. B. B.

Comment

Are you considering tapering the inner portion of the arch? Although more work up front it will make life much easier mating the dome to the arch. Gianni Foccacia has some details on doing this for both a full and partial arch (like yours).
        Russell

Comment

Russell,

Yes, my plan is to taper the bricks so that I do not have huge mortar joints on the outside.

I did an internet search and a search on this site for Gianni Foccacia but did not come up with information on making the arch. Can you point me in the right direction to find the information? Thanks for your support.
          Earth's crammed with heaven, But only he who sees takes off his shoes - E. B. B.

Comment

Russell,

Just read your post again and I may not understand what you mean by "tapering the inner portion of the arch". Can you expand on that a little?

Comment

Rob,

Here's GF thread on tapered arch which has several sections. This particular section will apply to you.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/oc...tml#post119539

Link showing my process on taper inner arch

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/wo...tml#post133498

Good luck
              Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM. Reason: added link
              Russell

Comment

VERY impressive! This is eye opening information that gives me many new ideas and opens up many new possible directions. It is going to take a while for me to absorb this and I am not cutting another brick until I figure out the angles and create a model that works.

Also very impressed with your saw jig for cutting angles. Lightyears ahead of what I have been using. It is hard to see in the photo...does the jig allow you to adjust the angle in two directions? It looks like there is a wedge on the left side that could control the height of the surface that the brick is placed on.

I have three saws, a 5" hand saw with diamond blade, a 7" tile saw that I own and a 10" that I borrowed from another oven builder in the area. My bricks are 2 1/4X4X9. The 7" and the 10" saws will cut the 2 1/4" side of the brick but neither will cut the 4" side. It looks like some of your cuts are made with the 4" side up. Am I seeing it wrong or do you have a saw that has 4"+ of blade depth? Do I have to have a saw with 4" blade depth to make the cuts necessary to build with the techniques you used?

Again, many thanks for your support.

Comment

rob
                  The jig allows for compound cuts. The wedges allow for vertical angles and the arms for horizontal angles. There are a couple threads out there to help you determine the angles based on the course. The wedges were used on both sides so you can cut both sides of the brick (taper and bevel). Actually my bricks were larger than std 3"x 5.5"x9" so with a 10" saw max depth was 3.5". By cutting two sides on the 5.5" sides to get your depth. Same with a std brick. I hads some pics in my build showing this. One more two that is helpful is an angle grinder with a diamond cupped wheel. Yell with anymore ??
                  Russell

Comment

All makes sense. I have avoided cutting both sides because I did not have a good way to control the brick and get accurate cuts. I can see with the jig that problem would be solved. I think the jig will be my next oven related project.

Have an angle grinder and have been using the grinding wheel that I use for metal cutoff. Heading to HD to check on the diamond cupped wheel today.

Many thanks for your help. I will try to hold further questions until really necessary.

Comment

Harbor freight have them. 25 bucks or so. Ebay cheaper if you aren't in a hurry. For your taper arch a jig not required. I used wedges for the taper. There is a thread on Anglelizer software to help with calc tapers for the arch and the IT will help you with the inner arch taper.
                      Russell

Comment

I picked up an Angleizer about 2 weeks ago, I'll have to check out the software. Thanks again for your support and encouragement.

Your Picassa picture log is outstanding. You should be very proud of your work. The engraved keystone and the beautiful counter top are crowning touches. Bravo!!

Comment

Don't feel like you can't ask question until absolutely necessary. We are all here to help. Why reinvent the wheel. Ask away..........
                          Russell

Comment

Here's a pic of making arch taper cuts using just a wedge.
                            Russell

Comment

After almost 7 months of inactivity I have finally started work on my outdoor kitchen and oven project again!! I put a roof over the cooking area last week and this week I broke through all uncertainty and cut the bricks for the oven entrance.

I have attached a few pictures of the entrance. If any of you who are experienced in oven building see anything that is an oven killer please let me know. I hope to start working the entrance with mortar in the next day or 2. My son and his family are coming for a visit at the end of June so I am hoping to have it up and running by the end of the month.

I will have a reveal in the front to close off the oven while keeping the vent open to the oven. You can see the black marker where I will cut the bricks. The reveal in the second arch really was a problem for me. My solution was to drop the rear arch by 1/2". The front arch form is supported by a 4" brick while the back arch form is supported by 2X4's (3 1/2"). This should give me a 1/2" reveal to close the oven off from the flue. I will even out the entrance tunnel with mortar and the insulation blanket with stucco on top. Hope this works...advice???

All advice is welcome!!

Comment

Hello Rob
                                Does your 10-28-2012, 06:55 AM post show a gas burner?
                                If so, how does it work?
                                And, how is your oven different from a wood fired one if in fact it is gas powered?
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X