Oven Build in Asheville, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Build in Asheville, NC

I have been working on my stand for about 2 months and have posted lots of questions and photos in other threads. I cannot say enough about all the help, advise and encouragement I have gotten from this forum. Thanks to all of you who make this forum great!

I am going to play catchup with this post and a few photos and then will post photos as I move ahead. All comments and suggestions are always welcome.

The oven will be a part of an informal outdoor kitchen. To the left of the oven will be a concrete slab for my charcoal grill/smoker and farther to the left, in front of the small tree, will be a counter and storage for cooking equipment. There will be a deck in front of all of it with a firepit for open fire cooking. This should keep me busy for at least a year.
    Earth's crammed with heaven, But only he who sees takes off his shoes - E. B. B.

Re: Oven Build in Asheville, NC

After a month of being tied up with work, I got back to the oven build last week.

I built and Indispensable Tool last month. My plan is to build an arched oven opening and to use the IT to shape the oven.

I did the cut and layout for the floor last week. I fit it all together in my workshop.
    Earth's crammed with heaven, But only he who sees takes off his shoes - E. B. B.

Comment

Yesterday was the big day! I set the floor and built the first course of upright bricks. It is starting to feel real now!

Everything fit perfectly in my shop but you know what they say about plans....somehow I lost about half a brick in the actual build. Had to cut a brick in the back.

I calculated that the correct spacing for the bricks would be .54" so rather than making wedges I just used 1/2" tile spacers. If I can get everything within 4/100th in this oven I will be VERY happy and $2.49 for the spacers was lots easier and faster than making wedges.

The fitting at the landing was what I figured was most important so I started there on both sides and moved to the back. What I did not think about was the height of the mortar joint under the bricks. I realized as the two sides got closer that the joint on the right was higher than the joint on the left. I adjusted as I went along so when they came together they were even but now I have a problem to correct for as I move to the next course.

Comment

Rob,

Nice looking base and a great start on you dome. Best of luck and send pics of your progress. One thing you might want to do is duct tape the space between the floor and the first course. This will keep mortar from getting in the space and causing a crack later on during the cure.
        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 10-28-2012, 07:15 AM.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion...no cracks allowed! My next step will be to make a plywood floor for the IT. I will be sure to seal the area around the edges before moving ahead.

Comment

LOL, there are cracks and then there are CRACKS, we all get them, just some are bigger than others. One thing to consider, make you brick adjustments where they cannot as easily seen from the archway entry, ie the sides closer to the arch. People love to look in the ovens when they are fired up. Maybe they would not notice but you have the option of where to place the brick(s) adjustments. Good luck.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Great advise...thanks! One of the differences between an amateur and a pro...how well a pro can cover mistakes!

Comment

Hi Rob,

Think about drainage with your oven sitting in that embankment.

Comment

I have already sealed the stand with the same stuff sold in this area to waterproof basements...Thoroseal Foundation Sealer. I will also put in a french drain and gravel to quickly move water out from behind the oven. Hope that is enough to keep things dry. Any other thoughts are welcome.

Comment

May I ask why you did not run insulation under your dome wall? Won't the heat leach from your dome to your base with no resistance?

Comment

I think the top of the stand is vcrete, the white strip is only used as a spacer, its not ceramic fiber board or calsil. I may be wrong.

Comment

Correct...the top of the stand is vcrete. I think the white strip you are seeing is just the white cardboard spacer that I placed between the wall and the floor.

Thanks for looking and backing me up.

Comment

Very cool!!! I have seen many make that mistake. Your oven is looking great. Looking forward to the updates on your progress.

Faith

Comment

Made one small step ahead this weekend...got the IT installed on the oven floor. All the cracks around the floor are covered with duct tape and I am ready to start laying bricks. I have started cutting bricks in half and hope to have some time this week to start laying brick.

I wish I had installed and used the IT to place my first chain of upright bricks. I used the floor and cardboard spacer to place the bricks but now see that the IT would have been more accurate.

Comment

Made lots of progress in the past week! I poured a second slab for my charcoal grill and gas stovetop that will be next to the oven. Also laid the first two courses of bricks and started the structure to support the flue.

I started this with lots of confidence but now as I am actually at the point of joining the flue to the oven I realize it is lots more complicated than I thought. I am going to study, look at the forum for examples, and give it more thought before moving ahead. When I have enough clarity to ask intelligent questions I will start a thread in the building section.

Thanks for looking and for your support!!

Comment

Working...
                              X