Cowl deflects smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowl deflects smoke

(M) I read an important post about starting your fire under your flue and later pushing it back. Thanks for that advice.

(M) I built a roof with a substantial peak overhang. When starting my fire, I had some smoke in my face. It got caught under the overhang.

(M) I asked a sheet metal worker to build a 24" cowl - shroud around my brick arch oven entry. For $30, he even gave me painted galvanized sheet metal and threw in edge beading to prevent cuts.

(M) NOTE! This cowling is removable. I plan to use it only when necessary and once my fire is hot, I'll lift it off.

(M) Here is a picture of it:

Ciao,

Marcel
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
    but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Re: Cowl deflects smoke

Marcel, that's interesting....

I was studying the pictures of the Pompeii ovens James has posted on FB. Have you noticed that they seemed to be inset a couple of feet, kind of like a large cowling. I'm wondering if this helped them to retain heat. It would act to keep the oven dry/out of the (elements wind/rain)

Jim
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Inset of oven opening:

(M) Yes, Jim X., I've noticed that not just James' photos but those of many others choose such a layout. I think that almost any layout can work and that their are many critical factors including the distance of the flue from the oven opening, the size of the flue, where the starting fire is laid out, the height of the chimney, the material used to build the flue and chimney, the amount of insulation, etc., ad nauseum.

(M) There are so many factors involved in the response of a masonry oven to the initial start up fire that it almost impossible to reduce all of the variables to zero. But someone's suggestion of starting our fires under the flue and after the flue has warmed to push the coals back is an excellent idea and one that can be employed irrespective of design - aesthetics.

Ciao,

Marcel

Comment

Marcel,
        What is the wire "thingy" with an eyelet at the end that sticks out in the middle over the opening in the photo? Some sort of flue control? Have you written anything about it? If not, would you?
        Thanks in advance,
        Wlodek
        (who is still at the planning stage and is looking for ideas)
        "Carpe diem." - Fish of the Day (The Uxbridge English Dictionary)

Comment

You know if you lower that arch you can probably eliminate the need for this appliance..From the pic it appears the front arch is way to high to draw properly. Also from the picture it appears thats not just smoke residue thats flame lick which tells me your fire or fires were much to vigorous. I need to find a pic of your chimney..a ha here is the problem. NO throat.

Ok Ok I got it now .. I looked at some of the other pictures you have posted and see what is going on here. This will never draw properly because of the lack of the throat transition. The fire and smoke have no where to go but straight out toward the front of the oven which is why you are indeed getting fire lick on the front of the oven.

I realize your post was not asking why? but merely pointing out your attempted solution to deal with the problem. But here are some thoughts anyway.

What I would do is go back to your sheet metal friend and have him form that cowl into a hood, attach it to the front and have it vent directly into the existing chimney. This would solve your problems...
          http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Unofornaio

I am in the process of constructing a Pompeii style oven that does have a substantial landing (throat?) in front of the rectanular openning to the oven dome. The flue is located in the middle of the landing.
            I choose to make the arch height in the front of this landing substantially higher then the height of the rectangular openning to the oven dome for aesthetic reasons.

I do get some smoke escaping out of this arch and blackenning the arch bricks when there is considerable smoke as the fire is just starting.

Here is the question: Would a temporary cowl suspended from the tops of the arch bricks (which protrude from the surronding oven enclousure structure) and coming down to the same height as that of the rectanular openning to the oven dome diminish the smoke exiting out the front?
            Fred Di Napoli

Comment

Marcel

Not related to your question but the roof material you used it is like a tile roof in profile but it is a differnt material. What is the material?

Sorry for the off topic question

Mark

Comment

Old Post from 08-13-07 Re: Metal roofing tiles

Originally posted by Mr_Steel View Post
                Marcel

Not related to your question but the roof material you used it is like a tile roof in profile but it is a differnt material. What is the material?

Sorry for the off topic question

Mark
                (M) The "tiles" are made of metal and impregnated with real rock grit. If you're considering such an installation, write to me as I can save you some of my mistakes.

Ciao,

Marcel 03-06-08

Comment

Old Post from 08-12-07 Re: Flue Control

Originally posted by Wlodek View Post
                  Marcel,
                  What is the wire "thingy" with an eyelet at the end that sticks out in the middle over the opening in the photo? Some sort of flue control? Have you written anything about it? If not, would you?
                  Thanks in advance,
                  Wlodek
                  (who is still at the planning stage and is looking for ideas)
                  (M) It's more than a little late for me to reply but here goes: The "thingy" is indeed a flue control. My advice is don't bother! I never use it. I thought it would be useful for quickly warming up the oven but I find I use the flue in the full open position all the time.

Ciao,

Marcel 03-06-08

Comment

Working...
                  X