No announcement yet.

42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

once you get your oven going, you can dump all the hot coals on that stump until burns up!
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thank you

We officially closed the dome. Its all done . Now on to the chimney. Advices are welcomed with huge loving opened arms. Lol
      Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
        I need to be more like you V, I might accomplish something.
        I like your whole set up. I wish I had all the room to work with as you have.
        Enjoying your posts.
        Lol, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
          once you get your oven going, you can dump all the hot coals on that stump until burns up!
          Ive actually tried pouring lighter fluid and lit her up, just for shits n giggles. Not fun, so much smoke. I plan on renting a tree stump grinder, that should do the trick.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the dome plugged and complete. Over the weekend i plan on breaking the form, getting inside and filling the gaps and cleaning up inside.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
              I think the plans need a dimension or ratio as to where the front is positioned in regard to the sized sized oven ppl will be building to avoid this from happening.
              I built my oven from the plans last year and had the same spiral occurrence at the end of the build. This was a result of getting a teardrop shape when connecting to the arch.

I considered interconnecting the arch with the courses of dome bricks, but was too impatient to do it. I thought that having the arch there would be a good reference point for the dome courses. Looking back a year later, the hardest part for me to overcome was getting the dome to connect with that inner arch.

It will all be worth it when you fire it up the first time (after curing it).

On a side note - for good almond wood look on craigslist, I got 2/3 of a cord for $200 from a guy who's family owns an almond farm up north. It only takes 10-12 pieces to fire my 36" oven up for 4-5 hours. After a year of at least monthly use, I've still got 1/2 of what I bought. He sells it for 100$ a 1/3 of a cord. I think he was in O.C.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
                Over the weekend i plan on breaking the form, getting inside and filling the gaps and cleaning up inside.
                Congrats. This was about my least favorite task evah.

On the stump - I have read you can burn them up by dumping a bunch of charcoal on top and just letting it burn. Haven't tried it, but it makes some sense.
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thank you

We officially closed the dome. Its all done . Now on to the chimney. Advices are welcomed with huge loving opened arms. Lol
                  Very cool...you must be excited!

[QUOTE=V-wiz;148262]Here are some pictures of the dome plugged and complete. Over the weekend i plan on breaking the form, getting inside and filling the gaps and cleaning up inside.

One thing I would do is eliminate the notched brick (the first one off the springer) and replace it. If you did that so the top and bottom match up with the rest of your arch brick (voussoirs) then trim it...a notch will weaken it, and it is taking all the pressure from that side of your arch.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                  John Ruskin

Comment

I did the charcoal on a stump years ago and it worked well, but nothing like a stump grinder if you are in a hurry.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

[QUOTE=stonecutter;148632]Very cool...you must be excited!

Here are some pictures of the dome plugged and complete. Over the weekend i plan on breaking the form, getting inside and filling the gaps and cleaning up inside.

One thing I would do is eliminate the notched brick (the first one off the springer) and replace it. If you did that so the top and bottom match up with the rest of your arch brick (voussoirs) then trim it...a notch will weaken it, and it is taking all the pressure from that side of your arch.
                      Im not sure which notch your talking about, are you referring to the keystone all the way up top?

Comment

Here is some work from the past weekend. Removing the form was pretty easy using just a drill bit, a large one. Made a few holes and broke the bottom half and it was out. The hardest part was working on the inside, its not fun... Id have to admit my oven build is no where near what some of you guys have built, definitely not the cleanest, but im content with it.

Comment

Comment

[QUOTE=V-wiz;148647]
                            Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                            Very cool...you must be excited!

Im not sure which notch your talking about, are you referring to the keystone all the way up top?
                            No, the notched arch brick off the right springer..left side viewed from.back in the pic. in the picture.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

[QUOTE=stonecutter;148668]

No, the notched arch brick off the right springer..left side viewed from.back in the pic. in the picture.

Ohh, its not notched or mortared in, it was laid dry just to get an idea, i have not started the outer arch yet. Ya i know if fools the eye but no i wont notch the outer arch. Thanks.

Comment

[QUOTE=V-wiz;148671]
                                Originally posted by stonecutter View Post

Ohh, its not notched or mortared in, it was laid dry just to get an idea, i have not started the outer arch yet. Ya i know if fools the eye but no i wont notch the outer arch. Thanks.
                                O.K...makes sense now!
                                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X