No announcement yet.

42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

Yea good point thanks for the tips.
    Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
      . We poured & leveled the foundation/slab then wet layed the blocks, then inserted the rebars into the blocks.
      Why dont ppl work out the size of things to work full/half blocks before hand?
      This has confused me for many years, its just multiples of the block unit?
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        Why dont ppl work out the size of things to work full/half blocks before hand?
        This has confused me for many years, its just multiples of the block unit?
        We found it easier this way. I dont see the issue in doing so.

Comment

We finished the 6th course today, i sprayed the dome with water and put a tarp over it so it cures/ dries slowly. Is this ok or will it cause problems?

Can someone provide a link to where it shows how to cut taper the bricks for the upper courses. Thanks

Comment

Here is the 6th course. The tarp over the oven did good as it keep the moisture in, i removed it the following night. Is there anything i can improve?

Comment

Another tear drop shaped oven, isnt there a dimension on the plans as to where to position the front opening to avoid this?

If not, why not?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Another tear drop shaped oven, isnt there a dimension on the plans as to where to position the front opening to avoid this?

If not, why not?
                Im note sure what you mean, could you please lend me a hand? if i did something wrong can you please show me or tell me how to fix it? i see the shape of the tear drop and it does bug me. id like to know how to fix it. Thanks.

Comment

Viewed from the top the oven doesnt look round, or is it an optical illusion?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Viewed from the top the oven doesnt look round, or is it an optical illusion?
                    You are right, its somehow goes straight to the arch. I think the solution was to curn in the walls in little more at the arch area? what do you think.

Comment

I think the plans need a dimension or ratio as to where the front is positioned in regard to the sized sized oven ppl will be building to avoid this from happening.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Happens when you don't use an IT. Seems like a natural reaction for most builders. Your last course should be connecting across the top of your arch to complete a circle. You've straightened out that last bricks on each side.

Brickie - IMO, the plans really don't cover this in much detail.

I am going to go back to my suggestion that the FB plans should be dumped into a Wiki where we could add all kinds of sections. How to build/use an IT. How to build the arch into the oven. How to taper bricks. Yada Yada Yada. Maybe this is something I will need to do myself if I find the energy. It really takes a lot of work to dig this all out of the forums when you are newbie who doesn't know what you are looking for!
                        Last edited by deejayoh; 03-12-2013, 10:50 PM.
                        My build progress
                        My WFO Journal on Facebook
                        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                          Happens when you don't use an IT. Seems like a natural reaction for most builders. Your last course should be connecting across the top of your arch to complete a circle. You've straightened out that last bricks on each side
                          It would also depend on how far back of forwards the arch is in relation to the dome.
                          The intersection of the arch and dome where they meet at the top have to correspond.

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                          Happens when you don't use an IT.
                          There is a current build on here using the IT and it still has the teardrop shape.
                          Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-12-2013, 10:55 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

There is a current build on here using the IT and it still has the teardrop shape.
                            I should have said "happens when you don't TRUST your IT". Pivots can only make circles, but we may choose in our infinite wisdom to override that!
                            My build progress

Comment

Because i dont have a form at the front of the dome/across the arch it has slowly slipped away. I will try to fix this gradually but i think the oven should still function properly.

Comment

It will be just fine. I had to do this for mine. Try to fix it on the next course as much as you can, or it will make closing your dome a bit of a PITA. if it is not a circle, it makes brick cutting a nightmare.
                                My build progress

Comment

Working...
                                X