My Wood fired Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Wood fired Redux

Very nice looking finished oven. Every single detail in the oven is a signature of the skilled builder.
    Love it.
    Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
    I forgot who said that.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      what do they say.....one persons junk in another persons treasure.......I would take you junk any day.
      It's all yours next time. I would recommend buying some carbide chisels though, the base stone took a good amount of shaping to make them usable!
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Stonecutter, is the wood (you used for the finishing) a special kind of wood? I mean I used to think of wood as a material that does not like weather changes and may wear out early contrary to your attractive stone finishing that is supposed to stay brilliant for decades.
        Last edited by v12spirit; 08-23-2014, 07:20 AM.
        I forgot who said that.

Comment

Originally posted by v12spirit View Post
          Stonecutter, is the wood (you used for the finishing) a special kind of wood? I mean I used to think of wood as a material that does not like weather changes and may wear out early contrary to your attractive stone finishing that is supposed to stay brilliant for decades.
          What do you mean by special? It's not pressure treated if that's what you mean. It did stain all of the exposed framing rafters on the gable ends and the rafter tails) and all the other wood is cedar. It will last a long while with a little care.....nothing is maintenance free, even the stone. I'm confident the oven will be torn down before it falls down.

I'll probably be the one that does it too.
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post

I'll probably be the one that does it too.
            So, you all staying put for awhile? Even if you do, I'm pretty sure there's some sort of law on the books down there prohibiting the demolition of such a work of art like that.
            My Build:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
              So, you all staying put for awhile? Even if you do, I'm pretty sure there's some sort of law on the books down there prohibiting the demolition of such a work of art like that.
              Nothing's set in stone...

Im only half kidding about tearing it down. This one was never suppose to be permanent and it just evolved into what you see now. I would not have built it @33" but rather around 42 or more. It's cool though, it's good to try different ovens out.

I'm actually building another oven for myself soon...a Neapolitan mobile one. It's been in the planning stage for about a year, but I need to finish my patio and cabinet before I start that project. Plus, I've got another fixed oven to build at a friends house too (40") so I wouldn't have time to tear my oven down and rebuild even if I was serious.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

"Therefore what god has joined together let no man put asunder" .............................Not even the man "what built it"
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

What can withstand consecutive summers and winters or even rough users for quite many decades without even changing its color more than a stone? Regardless of the wood involved in the finishing, I believe that this oven could keep its perfect shape for decades, though I'm still not convinced why stonecutter involved wood in the finishing, and when he was talking about tearing down, he was behaving modestly, who wood reconstruct a strong running perfect looking classic Rolls Royce? Hope you live to see it tearing
                  Last edited by v12spirit; 08-24-2014, 07:50 PM.
                  I forgot who said that.

Comment

You ain't fooling me, you built this oven because you wanted to play with the Gothic arch. I only built mine because I wanted to build something utilizing the Guastavino vaulting method so I understand exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                      You ain't fooling me, you built this oven because you wanted to play with the Gothic arch. I only built mine because I wanted to build something utilizing the Guastavino vaulting method so I understand exactly.
                      The original plan was a round footprint for the stone base and a cob oven. Once I started building with the stone I had, I realized that shaping them for a round base would take as much time as building a larger square base. And as for the vault, you are sort of right....I did want to do something different. But what I intended to do, was a cross ( groin ) vault, possibly a ribbed cross vault. I needed to simplify the vault for the sake of time, because I was involved in a huge commercial project at the time.

I have been given creative license for the oven at my friends home. I am planning it out now, and I'm going to built a ribbed cross vault for his base. It'll probably make me jealous! This one won't have an enclosure either, I'm going to do some kind of tile mosaic over the dome.

I would love to do a Guastavino vault someday too, I just need to order the clay tile...I did find a company online that makes them. I'll probably build a small gazebo so I can do the roof with the vault.
                      Last edited by stonecutter; 08-25-2014, 04:23 AM.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Regardless of the wood involved in the finishing, I believe that this oven could keep its perfect shape for decades, though I'm still not convinced why stonecutter involved wood in the finishing...,
                        Another aspect of this oven is that there is no concrete footing, because as mentioned, the project was never intended for what you see now. Also, the stone base itself has no mortar in it, except the top course- that is the bond beam for the watertable pieces that separate the base from the enclosure. I know how to build solid drystone structures, having done arched bridges and foundations for old homes, but all those have solid footings. So far I see no evidence if settling, as I check the vault, and bed joints of the watertable for cracking. This project was mostly driven by firsts...first load bearing gothic vault, first cedar roof, first handcarved one piece arch, etc. At some point, if I start to see any evidence that the structure is settling too much, then I will take this oven down, pour a slab, then build anew!

Wood framing is a common building method in North America and Europe, and can last for centuries if cared for.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

This project was mostly driven by firsts...first load bearing gothic vault, first cedar roof, first handcarved one piece arch, etc. At some point, if I start to see any evidence that the structure is settling too much, then I will take this oven down, pour a slab, then build anew!

Wood framing is a common building method in North America and Europe, and can last for centuries if cared for.
                          That makes the project original; regarding the firsts, and authentic; being like the ancient Roman structures laid directly on the ground. I started to understand your philosophy of the oven. I hope it will not settle to prove the validity of this stonework. The whole thing is a brilliant idea.

How is wood framing "cared for"? I'm starting to look differently at wood.
                          Last edited by v12spirit; 08-25-2014, 08:31 AM.
                          I forgot who said that.

Comment

That makes the project original; regarding the firsts, and authentic; being like the ancient Roman structures laid directly on the ground. I started to understand your philosophy of the oven. I hope it will not settle to prove the validity of this stonework. The whole thing is a brilliant idea.
                            Believe it or not, most structures in Ancient Rome ( and other great stone structures) had legitimate foundations, if they were not set on bed rock. As to the validity of the stonework, building a dry stone structure can be as solid than one build with mortar...in some cases it is superior! If there's one thing consistent with my build, it that recycled material makes a decent final product. I appreciate your thoughts on my build.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

How is wood framing "cared for"? I'm starting to look differently at wood.
                              For one thing, you have to know your material ( true of any natural product ) and be mindful of how it weathers. You need to pay attention to flashing, capillary breaks, condensation points and possible insect damage. Allowing the wood to 'breathe' is important, trapped water causes rot and attracts wood eating insects. Good quality stains, paint, sealers, oil and even wax can help preserve wood. Wood has better tensile strength than masonry, and of course it's a lot lighter..sometimes that is a needed feature.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Another aspect of this oven is that there is no concrete footing, because as mentioned, the project was never intended for what you see now. Also, the stone base itself has no mortar in it, except the top course- that is the bond beam for the watertable pieces that separate the base from the enclosure. I know how to build solid drystone structures, having done arched bridges and foundations for old homes, but all those have solid footings. So far I see no evidence if settling, as I check the vault, and bed joints of the watertable for cracking. This project was mostly driven by firsts...first load bearing gothic vault, first cedar roof, first handcarved one piece arch, etc. At some point, if I start to see any evidence that the structure is settling too much, then I will take this oven down, pour a slab, then build anew!

G'day stonecutter
                                Sounded a bit crazy at first, but I know myself sometimes you do things for yourself that you would never do for someone else. If you have only yourself to please you'll do whatever . Your whatever is still pretty impressive though
                                Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                                X