Spanish Oven Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish Oven Collection

Now that I'm using my WFO I'm seeing them everywhere...just look for the blackened chimneys.

So, here is a thread that I'll post pictures of Spanish Ovens I find interesting.

Of course, mine can start...the summer kitchen is now awaiting a little paint and countertops.....
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Southwest Spain

We did a driving tour and in the middle of a cork tree area in the hills, I stopped by this ruin of a building...of course it had an oven!

Now how old? 100? 200? Made of stone. And take a look at how solid the oven structure was compared to the rest of the building!

The dome was kind of egg shaped and made out of flat stones on their sides. Note the hearth entry....it seems like there was an intentional gap in the hearth to allow air into the oven. It did not seem to have a chimney either!

Comment

Double ovens

at our favorite restarant...

Comment

Canary Islands

This one was being fired up

Comment

Re: Spanish Oven Collection

I think the oven at the castle belongs here....did you notice the brickwork?

14.5 feet wide hearth with a dome height of 30 inches....

BTW, it did have a chimney but it had been blocked.

XJ

Comment

So, I say to Vaughn...let's pick up some provisions for a picnic. She says, let's stop at the next town.....Canigral.

Turned out to be abandoned! But they did have an old oven.....so it goes.

Note the oven structure outside the building, the stone dome and the built in kitchen cabinets.

XJ

Comment

Simple country oven (no diamond saw here)

Comment

XJ,

An inspirational photo journal; every one a treat, not to say a history lesson. The Canigral oven reminds me a bit of the domestic beehive ovens that were built in Ontario during the early 19th century. Quite a few still survive in the Kingston area.

Just want to say thanks for taking the time to shoot the pics and post them.

How are your plans for the 24th here? The way this so-called spring is going we might need snowshoes on the day.

CJ
                "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Thanks for the great pics XJ! I love the keystone in the last photo. Perhaps mine might work for awhile after all.
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

You can actually buy refractory clay artesanal ovens in the vasque provinces of spain. In Zamora they come in multiple sizes from tiny little single plate size to the more traditional sizes.

Comment

Working...
                    X