Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket Stove Brick Oven

I'm going to do some sort of traditional clay brick oven fired by a rocket stove or based on a rocket stove design. It is all a learning process right now. The first step was building a rocket stove and learning about how the stove functions and the heating of clay bricks.

Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Hey DB - Welcome. I will watch your progress with interest. Nothing like a mystery and mysterious things happen when you build brick things and make a fire in them. Once you settle on a concept I am sure that there will be advice aplenty to help you out.
    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I have barely finished my first oven but have already been thinking about how to incorporate a rocket stove into my next oven.

From my very little understanding about both pizza ovens and rockets stoves, they could definitely be incorporated with some modification to each.

When cooking pizza you need conductive, radiant and direct heat. The top of the horizontal tube of the rocket stove could also be you oven floor which will give you the conductive heat. The vertical tube of the rocket stove could open up into the very back of your oven, sending heat up the back of the dome just like a regular fire, heating the top of the dome to give you your radiant heat. I guess when the fire is going this will also provide some flames and thus the direct heat.

The last bit is the bit that has me stuck. The only other thing I thought of is to incorporate a modification to the back wall of the oven, above the slot coming in from the rocket stove. Perhaps part of the opening could let flames run up the inside of the dome. Another part could have a more heat reflective surface on more of an angle to "shoot" the heat straight at the food.

I have tried to represent this in the very amateurish drawing attached.

The other way could be to split the vertical tube of the rocket stove into 2. The back section could shoot heat up the dome and the front section could bounce of the reflective surface, directly at the food. This way you could incorporate some sort of diverter so you can alter the flow up the dome or off the reflective surface. That way you can shut off the direct heat and use conductive and radiant like in other cooking in the wood fired oven. The other way would be to let the fire die down, of course.

I've added this for brain storming as I have no authority on either rocket stove or pizza ovens. I had just been thinking about it too.

Comment

Building an oven isn't rocket science, though I applaud you for for the effort. It is all about the BTUs, and I doubt you can get enough into the cooking shell to make a Neapolitan pizza with a rocket oven. Please keep trying, though.

Comment

Yeah what TS said, you wont get enough heat in the oven but itll be interesting to watch the build...
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I think it is possible to make a oven with rocket stove tech., but, it won't be a pizza oven as are on the site here. Since what you propose is basicly a blow torch aimed at a mass, you will have to deal with absorbtion rates of your oven material. So, you would have to burn for a certain amount of time to get a mass a certain temp.Little mass, little residual heat,more mass, more time.So,you would have to keep burning to keep up temps,defeating the small amount of fuel that these stoves are known for, and there are no coals in the oven. That being said, Put a Weber kettle on top of that thing and line it with volcanic rock, fire brick and a pizza stone on the grill. It should give you a starting point for experimentation. Good Luck!
            " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Originally posted by sandybits View Post
              I have barely finished my first oven but have already been thinking about how to incorporate a rocket stove into my next oven.

From my very little understanding about both pizza ovens and rockets stoves, they could definitely be incorporated with some modification to each.

When cooking pizza you need conductive, radiant and direct heat. The top of the horizontal tube of the rocket stove could also be you oven floor which will give you the conductive heat. The vertical tube of the rocket stove could open up into the very back of your oven, sending heat up the back of the dome just like a regular fire, heating the top of the dome to give you your radiant heat. I guess when the fire is going this will also provide some flames and thus the direct heat.

The last bit is the bit that has me stuck. The only other thing I thought of is to incorporate a modification to the back wall of the oven, above the slot coming in from the rocket stove. Perhaps part of the opening could let flames run up the inside of the dome. Another part could have a more heat reflective surface on more of an angle to "shoot" the heat straight at the food.

I have tried to represent this in the very amateurish drawing attached.

The other way could be to split the vertical tube of the rocket stove into 2. The back section could shoot heat up the dome and the front section could bounce of the reflective surface, directly at the food. This way you could incorporate some sort of diverter so you can alter the flow up the dome or off the reflective surface. That way you can shut off the direct heat and use conductive and radiant like in other cooking in the wood fired oven. The other way would be to let the fire die down, of course.

I've added this for brain storming as I have no authority on either rocket stove or pizza ovens. I had just been thinking about it too.
              I've looked at so many designs of traditional ovens that I believe a rocket stove design can be incorporated. The bricks were still warm a couple hours after the fire went out so I am encouraged about creating an oven.

You will have to keep me updated on your thoughts about designs. I am interested to see what you come up with. And if you haven't already, please post pictures of your oven.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Duck
                Seems like you are using the same principles of a Scotch oven but it would need a large Rocket Stove, as the Scotch ovens that I have seen burn wood about 3 to 4 foot long and about 3 to 4'' across

WD
                I have learned something new with this post. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
                  I think it is possible to make a oven with rocket stove tech., but, it won't be a pizza oven as are on the site here. Since what you propose is basicly a blow torch aimed at a mass, you will have to deal with absorbtion rates of your oven material. So, you would have to burn for a certain amount of time to get a mass a certain temp.Little mass, little residual heat,more mass, more time.So,you would have to keep burning to keep up temps,defeating the small amount of fuel that these stoves are known for, and there are no coals in the oven. That being said, Put a Weber kettle on top of that thing and line it with volcanic rock, fire brick and a pizza stone on the grill. It should give you a starting point for experimentation. Good Luck!
                  I have seen that done on youtube but with a large grill.

I will keep trying. I have always loved the traditional brick ovens.

Comment

Gudday
                    I caught a couple of u-tube vids etc with rocket oven powered stoves and whilst they were interesting it was a bit like watching firecrackers ... Plenty of bang and excitement but it was all over really fast. With a wood fired oven with a more conventional fire its a slow burn to put that heat into the refractory ( or clay if that's what you have) and you reap the return of heat back over time.
                    As for there efficiency those walls reflepct the heat back onto the fire so even the smoke gets burnt. The design that has a 63 per cent door height to oven height means that the oven will breath correctly without any special input.
                    As for fuel .... Who buys wood. Salvaged, tree limb cuttings, trimmings and palm fends all burn as well if seasoned. I can collect enough in a 30 min forage along the side of my local roads to do a roast if I need.
                    So I don't see the need to re-event the wheel so to speak. An age old design with modern materials ..... You can't go wrong
                    Anyway with respect I do wish you well and I hope you do post more as I will always watch with interest
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Just some grist for the mill. Here is a pic of a rocket stove weber. Apparently it has a volcanic rock grill.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7...2/DSCF0853.JPG
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/r...ven-18755.html Here is a thread of interest, if you have not allready seen it...
                        " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                          As for fuel .... Who buys wood. Salvaged, tree limb cuttings, trimmings and palm fends all burn as well if seasoned. I can collect enough in a 30 min forage along the side of my local roads to do a roast if I need.
                          Yes, I can forage enough around here. That is one reason I am choosing a rocket stove for outdoors. I'm hoping to only use branches and such to cook on. Honestly, I broke down the stove at one point and the small little thing was enough to cook with. Everything that you see in the videos with mini brick stoves is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                            Just some grist for the mill. Here is a pic of a rocket stove weber. Apparently it has a volcanic rock grill.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7...2/DSCF0853.JPG
                            This is the grill conversion I saw ages ago...

Rocket grill - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/r...ven-18755.html Here is a thread of interest, if you have not allready seen it...
                              Thanks. I am working my way through the thread. I would have to say the clay pot is a common vessel to cook with.

Comment

Working...
                              X