Oven and Fire Pit Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven and Fire Pit Build

I'm in the beginning stages of building an outdoor entertainment area with both an oven and a firepit. Unfortunately work tends to take a considerable amount of time but as I get to add to it I will keep posting here.

Re: Oven and Fire Pit Build

The location for the build.

So far the joists for the deck have been built and the two bench seats are almost done.

Last edited by KiwiGeorge; 12-08-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Fire pit stand under construction

Last edited by KiwiGeorge; 12-08-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Cinder blocks stacked in the corner to build the oven stand from. The green drum is going to be the form to build the fire pit around. The over itself will sit just to the right of where the drum is now in the cut-out area of the joists.

Last edited by KiwiGeorge; 12-08-2013, 06:56 PM.

Comment

That looks like a beautiful location, it seems to be a distance from your house, are you planning a prep station near the oven?

Or, is the cutout in the deck the water drain etc for a wet bar? If so that is great planning. If that is your fire pit it might be a little close to the back of the oven operator...
          Last edited by mrchipster; 09-08-2013, 06:20 AM.
          Chip

Comment

It would seem I have been incredibly slack in taking pictures of the build. It has been going rather a lot slower than I expected (and her indoors would like!) but a little more progress has been made today - pouring of the slab for the oven base has been completed this morning.

re the distance from the house - yes, the plan is to have a prep station running each side of the oven. I must admit, I hadn't considered the proximity of the fire pit and oven in regards to the operator - it may be that the fire pit isn't wound right up while there is cooking going on!
            Last edited by KiwiGeorge; 12-08-2013, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Todays effort - The laying of the first two courses for cinder blocks for the stand.

From here, once the mortar sets, the centre will be 3/4 backfilled and then a layer of concrete laid to form the floor for wood storage.

This is my first crack at laying bricks, so if it looks wonky, it probably is!

Comment

It might be a bit late but some reo bar tying the base, the blocks and the hearth base together is a good idea. Normally the core fill happens after all of the blocks are laid and the reo is set into the base.

The rest of the build looks good. I am sure that it will all come together.
                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                  It might be a bit late but some reo bar tying the base, the blocks and the hearth base together is a good idea. Normally the core fill happens after all of the blocks are laid and the reo is set into the base.

The rest of the build looks good. I am sure that it will all come together.
                  Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for the advice - what you have said does make good sense. The blocks that I have sourced were from the demolition of - believe it or not - a particle accelerator! The cores were already filled when I got them, but the price was right It does make laying them a little harder though, least of all how much heavier they are...

I will need to lay another five courses before putting the hearth on (which I already have as a pre-cast item and will be mortared to the top of the last course) I did wonder if I should take the dyna-drill to the hearth once fitted and chem-set some reo through into the top course of stand bricks. I am hoping that the bricks will be strong enough without the reo, as with the cores filled I can put any in - a last option will be to dyna-bolt/chem-set three decent sized steel bars to the outside of each side of the stand on an angle to hold the whole show together.

Comment

Nice start, the location is amazing.
                    Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGeorge View Post
                      Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for the advice - what you have said does make good sense. The blocks that I have sourced were from the demolition of - believe it or not - a particle accelerator! The cores were already filled when I got them, but the price was right It does make laying them a little harder though, least of all how much heavier they are...

I will need to lay another five courses before putting the hearth on (which I already have as a pre-cast item and will be mortared to the top of the last course) I did wonder if I should take the dyna-drill to the hearth once fitted and chem-set some reo through into the top course of stand bricks. I am hoping that the bricks will be strong enough without the reo, as with the cores filled I can put any in - a last option will be to dyna-bolt/chem-set three decent sized steel bars to the outside of each side of the stand on an angle to hold the whole show together.

The fact that they came apart so easily during demolition should indicate the eventual strength of your wall do your self a favour and consign them to the tip

Comment

Hi there I like your area, What part of the country are you in? Iam in Christchurch, and I would be putting as much steel in your base as you can scrounge up,
                        You wont need long bits but put them were it matters on the corners if you can and where the blocks meet you oven floor.

It will help when the weight goes on and if your foundations move... and dear I say the word, if you have a tremor.

Grant.

Comment

Hi Grant,

Toomulla is in North Queensland not much chance of disappearing into the ground more so of getting blown away.

Comment

Hi there, what part of the country are you in, Iam in Christchurch,

Like the look of what you are doing there, Iam building a pizza oven at the moment as well, just bricking the dome now.

good luck with yours.

Grant.

Comment

Originally posted by Toomulla View Post
                              Hi Grant,

Toomulla is in North Queensland not much chance of disappearing into the ground more so of getting blown away.
                              Yea sorry I new that, Iam not that good at this sort of stuff, I was trying to reply to the kiwi.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X