Oven cleared for 1st time last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven cleared for 1st time last night

woohoo, been firing for around a week, low and slow, left it for a few days and put a big one on last night. was amazed to see the dome clearing. was measuring well over 400C on the oven floor, and only got up to low twenties on top of the dome insulation It was still 70to80C this morning despite single digit temperatures and howling winds last night Havent actually cooked anything yet Still working on the deck for the cast in situ concrete counter. Hope to get that done next week. Also, lost the lense form the front of my GM550 IR thermometer that I bought on amazon a week or to ago....damn!! suppose it only cost me <?20 !!!
    My wife ordered me a pizza peel online last night, cant wait to get some pizza on!
    btw, why does the dome actually clear?? will it now stay clear for good?

Re: Oven cleared for 1st time last night

Originally posted by RichC View Post
    will it now stay clear for good?
    Nope - next time you fire it up it will be covered in soot again. It is pretty cool to watch it burn clean. I think I drank a bottle of wine just sitting there and watching it the first time.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Now that sounds like a great idea...........

Better than whats on TV presently and much more entertaining.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by RichC View Post
        btw, why does the dome actually clear??
        Because the high temperatures of the brick cause the particulate matter ( soot ) to burn off.

Congrats on the clearing fire, you are on your way now.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

I do not know if I imagine things but I seem to smell a unique smell as the soot on the dome begins to burn off. Anyway congrats on the dome clear. If you firing the oven, cook something......
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            I do not know if I imagine things but I seem to smell a unique smell as the soot on the dome begins to burn off. Anyway congrats on the dome clear. If you firing the oven, cook something......
            The smell of wood burning at low temps reminds many of us of home, christmas and all thing nice . The "first" time that we smell a dome clearing fire, it will bring on an oh sh:t, wtf "alarm" in most of us .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
            X