• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrigg
    replied
    Re: 48" brick oven from Melbourne

Hey Dario,

Sorry for the delay,

I insulated my dome with perlite cement with a bit of fire clay added to the mix. I then rendered over with home brew, cement lime fireclay sand 1:1:1:3

If I get to much heat loss I'll do another layer but as the other fellas said I think there will be plenty of thermal mass.

I'm curing my oven over the week and will do my first real fire and cooking this weekend .

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

That does look good. Mine is basic, just the SS flue fitted into a slot cut in the bricks and caulked with heatproof rope. Next time I will build a full arch entry.

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

Ok thank you Steve,

I was thinking to install stainless flue at the top nothing fancy or heavy just modern design like what Laticeeper have on his WFO.
    Nice and simple design ?

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/n...-18249-66.html

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Hey Dario - You are certainly powering along with your build! You will definitely need to better buttress the sides of your entrance arch or failure could be a real prospect.

This link shows the lines of thrust of arch constructions. Auroville Earth Institute

Not sure about your extra calsil board but I expect that any that does not protrude past your insulation layers would not need to be removed.

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

Thank you Dave.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    Not quite you true "home brew" but I recon for a sparging layer...,1part Portland cement, 1 part hydrated lime, 3 parts sand. All measured by volume not weight.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

G'morning,

Thanks Russel, Dave
    Very much appreciate your advice
    I've worked my @ss of since friday the input shows at the end but i can feel on my back . hehe
    Dave homebrew mortar you mean sand and GP cement, what ratio would you use ?
    Should i keep my dome under the tarp while i am building it ?
    Can i trim CalSil board to the size of my dome now ?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030621.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	304119

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Dario View Post
    Accrig
    I've used sand, you can see on the pictures now I'm thinking about next step to finish the front arch chimney to.
    I haven't make desision am I going to put blanket on the dome or add extra mass. What have you done with yours?
    Cheers Dario
    G'day Dario
    You have 120 mm (4 1/2 ins ) mass on the dome and 75 mm (3 ins) mass on the floor. Pretty much what I have. Insulated you'll be able cook pizza on fri night, bread sat morning, roast sat lunch and you'll probably get in a slow stew sun. If you need more heat in the oven you can always take a warm oven up to temp faster than a cold one. If you increase the mass to much it will only take you longer to heat and that heat will be wasted during the times that your not using it during the week. Put a layer of homebrew mortar to smooth things out and I recon that will be all you'll need.
    Insulate the sh@t out of that and you'll be cool
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Dario, your build is going exceptionally fast. Your proposed inner arch looks fine but you will probably need to bolster your vertical walls since the shape of the arch has a natural tendency to push out the vertical wall sections out.

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

Hey Dario,

How are you going, I'm doing a similar build to you. My cooking area is 1m in diameter.

I started a few weeks/weekends ago and today I'm going to insulate my dome.

How do you plan on building the dome? Are you using sand or are you building a frame to follow?
    Accrig
    I've used sand, you can see on the pictures now I'm thinking about next step to finish the front arch chimney to.
    I haven't make desision am I going to put blanket on the dome or add extra mass. What have you done with yours?
    Cheers Dario

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

G'day,
    Today i have experiment the front arch the way it may look?
    I've made temporary door and arch and i really like it the way it looks, what you guys think?
    Any comment, advice?

Thank you
    Dario

Name:	IMG_1881.jpg
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	304115

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

Thanks David, Dave

I've got Ceramic Blanket brand Isowool,for two layers each layer is 1" or 25mm, total 50mm of thickness.
    It took me two full days to finish the dome, started on Friday morning finished Saturday.
    I wont touch the Bricks i like the way they are it's not perfect but at least they will do the job.
    Callsill board under the dome it's bit wider then a dome it's self, should i trim to a size of the dome?

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day Dario
    I just leave those bricks alone myself. The face of the brick is the hardest if you cut into the bricks they are a little more porous. If you worried about looks once you have completed the entranceway the view inside the oven becomes quite small. All your guests will be amazed how bricks can be turned into a round structure.
    How long did it take to complete the dome by the way.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

The thickness of brick you have should be quite sufficient. If you want to add more thickness and strength it will give your oven more thermal mass, but will require longer firing to heat. Using Shiracast will not contribute much to strength as it is an insulator.The usual method is blanket straight on the dome. If you are building an igloo then a lower quality and cheaper insulation like vermicrete over the blanket to even out the lumps and bumps, providing you with a firm layer to render over. If building a dog kennel, just fill over the blanket with loose vermiculite or perlite or fibreglass roof insulation.
    Yes you can grind the inside bricks to improve the look of it, but wear a respirator or mask, the brick dust is hazardous, particularly when you're in an enclosed space.
    Last edited by david s; 04-26-2014, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

Ive mixed some castable cement and pour on the top to close the dome.
    This is the outcome and inside the dome today.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030618.jpg
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	304102

Name:	P1030619.jpg
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	304103

Thanks Dario

Leave a comment:

Working...