X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studlyone
    replied
    Re: 41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria

The curing fires are going well, we move on to the 500 degree F one tomorrow. In the mean time we have been making good use of the useable heat in the oven created with the curing fires to bake our first bread in there.

As he did a such a good job of cleaning the inside of the oven my dad (70 years old) got the privilege of baking the first bread in the oven and it tastes amazing.

Finished the perlcrete insulation on the oven today as well so the hotter fires should be easier to achieve.

Leave a comment:

• Studlyone
    replied

The front arch has now been built and buttressed and the chimney flue is fitted as well.

The oven and chimney flue have been wrapped in insulation and I have started the curing fires. I am using the new guidelines and starting small fires, holding the dome at temperature all day and then closing the door and allowing it to cool back down over night.

Attached to this post are pics of the flue, insulation and first curing fire

Leave a comment:

• Studlyone
    replied

Originally posted by tractorman44 View Post
    That is one heck of a project you have there, fellow serf. It seems to be coming along quite nicely.
    Thanks tractorman it's a labour of love as I guess they all are mine is just on a grander scale as it involves buildings as well as the WFO. I'm looking forward to a nice cold beer with the first pizza that comes out of it.
    Last edited by Studlyone; 06-06-2014, 03:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Studlyone
    replied

Originally posted by yorkshireknight View Post
    Well done Ian, looking very grand. I know what you mean about the cats house, ours was the same until the door went on.

Looking at your opening design and the curve angle, may be a good idea to buttress these particulary if your putting a chimney on top the stress outwards may be too great.

Your dad at 70 years young is still a para at heart, (always 1st in ) good on him getting stuck in.

Paul
    Yes the arch has been butressed now and the chinmey is in place, it is an offset chinmey that is shared with the BBQ which is the other side of the central colum. The chimney load is on the column and the arch is only supporting two terracot chimney tubes.

The outer arch is done and the chimney has now been insulated, the first layer of insulation is now on the dome and I will be starting the main curing fires this weekend.

I have had a lamp on in the dome all week and a hot air blower keeping the air temperature in the dome at a nice warm 50 degrees C to aid drying.

I am looking forward to starting the curing process proper.
    Last edited by Studlyone; 06-11-2014, 10:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tractorman44
    replied

That is one heck of a project you have there, fellow serf. It seems to be coming along quite nicely.

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

Well done Ian, looking very grand. I know what you mean about the cats house, ours was the same until the door went on.

Looking at your opening design and the curve angle, may be a good idea to buttress these particulary if your putting a chimney on top the stress outwards may be too great.

Your dad at 70 years young is still a para at heart, (always 1st in ) good on him getting stuck in.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Studlyone
    replied

The dome is now completed and the key stone in place. My 70 year old dad (ex Para) who is amazing had to get involved with cleaning up the inside of the dome, it was a case of - "I can do that".

So in he went, once sorted out the cat had to do a final inspection before we start the drying and curing process. I swear the cat thinks I am constructing a bedroom for it.

Leave a comment:

• Studlyone
    replied

Finished off the sixth course of bricks finally locking the keystone in place, now its complete rings of bricks.

I will be ditching the indespensible tool in favour of a platform and sand fill for the top of the dome, it should speed thing up a bit.

The outer arch and flue interface is done and fitted and I feel that I am making progress now.

Leave a comment:

• Studlyone
    replied

Yes its a beautiful country.

I got the Perlite from a local builders yard and they have medium duty firebricks and refractory cement as well.

The insulation blanket is something that they also stock, it has an aluminium backing and when I next go down I will be enquiring about the brand name so that I can do some checks online before buying it.

I'm about halfway through the dome and designing the flue interface now so its the fun parts of the dome to do now.

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

Hi Ian,

So another fellow ex pat living in beautiful BG.
    Thanks for your comment on my build and that you found it a good read and no doubt you have experienced the same problems with the language barrier.
    However you seem to have overcome it and your build is looking great. wont be long before your enjoying the fruits of your labours.
    Where did you manage to get your insulation from? Carry on the good work.
    Regards
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• Studlyone
    replied

Yes that's exactly what I wanted to prevent by having two accesses to the wood store underneath.

I have done two thirds of layer six today and the interface between arch and dome is looking fairly smooth.

Leave a comment:

• jeeppiper
    replied

Studly:

Nice design idea (having two storage accesses). If I ever build another oven, that is one feature I would incorporate into my design. I have to get on my hands and knees and crawl into mine to get to the back.

Leave a comment:

• Studlyone
    replied

Attached is a pic of the cleaned up inner surface of the arch ready for the sixth layer of bricks.

Leave a comment:

• Studlyone
    replied

Originally posted by jeeppiper View Post
    Looking Great! I am curious why you put your storage area facing outside, when you oven is accessed from the inside.
    Thanks jeeppiper. A very astute observation, there are actually two arches for access to stored wood, one inside and one outside. The underside of the hearth is split in two by a supporting wall dividing the storage area in half.

Finished the inner arch today (what a pain in the bum getting it to tie in with the brick rings).

Attached are some pics showing the divider in the base structure together with the arch and another showing the inner storage arch under the WFO entrance.

Leave a comment:

• jeeppiper
    replied

Looking Great! I am curious why you put your storage area facing outside, when you oven is accessed from the inside.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X