Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My build

Hi Everyone,
    Here are just a few pics from my build which as of this morning, is a completed dome, with only the final rendering and curing to do before getting into some cooking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	320736
    This is the base, sitting on a reinforced concrete slab. The base is made from Hebel (aerated concrete, incredibly strong, but also really light and able to cut with a hand saw) The hebel blocks come in 600x200x200mm so 2 blocks makes one side of this box. On each run, I had 2 200mm cubes left over from joining the slabs together, so I made a post in the middle to support the top slab.
    There is a sheet of compressed fiber cement then glued on and then the formwork for the top slab was clamped onto that to save the hassle of propping it from the ground. After the slab was done, I stuck on some leftover hebel I had to the outside to give me a bit more floor area for the oven.

Name:	22.jpg
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	320737
    This is the first course of bricks mortared onto the slab and the bricks for the floor of the oven cut in to fit. They are just sitting on a bed of builders sand which in theory will make it a bit easier to replace, should any of them crack. I know it's going to fill up with ash and the like, but that was the idea. The 2 bricks at the very front are mortared in, and there is one extra brick each side to make the door slightly higher. These are dry pressed bricks which in Oz means they are baked at a slightly higher temp to normal bricks.

Name:	24.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	320738
    I made an easy template out of ply wood for making the doorway.

Name:	29.jpg
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	320739
    I made another template for the arc of the dome and just sat each brick on that as they went into place. I think this was the last course I used it for.

Name:	31.jpg
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	320740
    I used a really good (1000kg static load limit) fit ball to finish the dome. It was fantastic as it allowed for the fact that the dome wasn't perfectly round, and I could adjust the pressure in the ball to compensate for more bricks sitting on it.

Name:	37.jpg
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	320741
    You can see I went a bit crazy with the mortar, but it seems to have done the job.
    Just the render and curing to go.

Looking forward to some feedback.

Re: My build

G'day
    No mention of insulation of insulation over that dome. The hebel will cover you for the under oven insulation but your doing yourself a disservice not to insulate the dome.
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hello Cobbler (makes me think of Cockney England)
      I have another layer of render still to go over the top which I'm hoping will do some of the insulating for me. Sadly there isn't much room on the edge of the dome to add too much more thickness.
      It would be feasible to insulate the top portion of the dome as that's where most of the heat will go.

Comment

G'day
        Insulation to truly work has to encapsulate the oven dome and floor. If your oven is not insulated it will fall of the heat rapidly. Even the old school ovens cob ovens were insulated, crude mix of straw and clay but insulated none the less.
        The forno plans are a free PDF doc which you can obtain from the forno store located at the top of the forum. Theres a section on why you should insulate.
        As for your current lack of space. Your stand is hebel I cant see any reason you cannot glue and pin 75 mm of hebel lip on that. That will give you room for 50 mm of ceramic blanket and 25 mm protective render.
        With an insulated oven and insulated door it possible to heat the oven up on a friday and still have useful temps on the sunday.
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once

My Build
        My Door

Comment

Reading your explanation of the supporting slab construction it sounds like there is no insulation under those floor bricks, unless you cast an additional layer of vermicrete which you didn't mention. You should be able to remove the floor bricks and fit 2" of cal sil insulation board in there and then replace the floor bricks. Your dome however will still not be insulated from the slab, but at least the floor would be.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

G'day Dave
            Oops missed that completely...... thanks for the pick up.
            Brewer Davids advise is spot on as always
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once

My Build
            My Door

Comment

So many Dave's, self included!
              Thank you for the advice, the idea of attaching some more hebel is great in that it can be done later without too much hassle.
              The idea of pulling the floor bricks out is not all that appealing purely because of the difficulty involved. (Nothing good ever came easily though!!)
              The other thing is I don't have access to any of the materials you mentioned anywhere near where I live and I assume shipping will be prohibitive.
              I was only planning on using this for short periods of time (Saturday nights for pizza) but the idea of being able to use it all weekend is quite appealing. Sadly, I think that ship might have sailed with the build I have done.
              I put a layer of render on yesterday with about 20% fireclay and some diluted bondcrete in the mix as well as some red oxide

Name:	38.jpg
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	306035
              Another layer of render isn't out of the question either.
              Thanks again,
              Dave

Comment

G'day Dave
                Pearlite and vermiculite are used as soil conditioners and insulation. You would have seem them. The little white beads in your pot plants soil... Pearlite. The flakey silver stick pieces in the pot plants soil.... Vermiculite.
                Mix with Portland cement and you have a high temp insulation.
                1 Portland to 5 is strong enough to support an oven. On the dome 1 to 8 to get the best insulation value.
                You can find it at garden centre, hydroponic supplies, ag suppliers . Bunnings only has vermiculite in 5 ltr bags at $9 a pop. You should be able to get 100 ltres for about $35 to $40. Hit the special orders desk you might be lucky.
                Dave you might find this easy to find than you think. Even a 25 mm layer over the dome would make it safer with kids.
                Sorry Dave I'm including this info as much got you as others that might read it .
                But I'm sure you'll enjoy your oven as much as I have my own.
                Regards
                Dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

Thank you Daves.

The local landscape yard is getting in a bag of perlite for me for next week.
                  Will I just use the pre-mixed mortar from the big green shed?
                  And is it worth putting bond crete through the mix too or leave that till the last coat?

Thanks again,

DF

Comment

If you are adding a layer of vermicrete, give it a week to dry then start with some fires, (one a day, getting bigger each day), for a week. Then do your render coat. You want a render mix not a mortar mix. Wrap that outer shell in cling wrap and leave for a week. Give it 10 decent firings before adding a waterproof layer.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                    X