Oven build is done, need help with oven door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven build is done, need help with oven door

Just finished my oven/BBQ island/fireplace build, I have posted a few pictures of the results. I had an oven door built by a welder that looks great BUT the metal door is sucking the heat out of my oven, the entire door gets blazing hot except for the handles. My neighbor suggested putting a piece of wood on the front of the door, I would really like to keep the metal look on the front of the door.

The door has 4" insulation block sandwiched between the metal.
    What do you guys suggest to do to stop the door from sucking out all the heat from the oven?[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	20141012_165832.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	321343

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141012_190240.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	321344

Name:	20141129_130526.jpg
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	321345

Name:	20141129_130807.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	321346

Name:	20141129_130658.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	321347

Name:	20141012_191044.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	321348[/ATTACH]

Re: Oven build is done, need help with oven door

The door isn't sucking the heat out of the oven. It's holding it in. I have a similar door and it gets hot when I use it to snuff the fire - but I've never really thought of it as a problem.

Carbon steel is a decent heat conductor, so the door is going to get hot, not much you can do about that. Looks like you have more than enough insulation inside of it to hold in as much heat as it can. What escapes is coming around the edges and conducting through the thin sheet (which heats up pretty easily)

Wood on the outside might make it cool to the touch, but isn't going to do much to keep the metal from conducting heat. You might try putting some fireproof gasket around where it touch the opening if you want to reduce the airflow out of the oven.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/s...ighlight=doors
      This is the Show Us Your Door thread. Plenty of good ideas there.

I agree with Deejayoh, doors do conduct some heat but they do hold it in rather than suck it out. What you make it out of depends on what you have, what you can get or what you have the gear to work with.

I made mine out of sheet aluminium stuffed with ceramic fibre, it keeps the weight down a bit and works fine.

Good luck with it.
      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

The only improvement you could make is to have a thermal break from the oven with a gasket around the door and then have a thermal break from the internal part of the door to the external part.
        Some kind of gasket between the internal tray and the flat face of your door.
        Pretty sure the difference would be minimal though.

your door looks excellent

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, I still think I am losing a lot of heat from the door but I could be wrong and this could be normal. I posted the same question in the door thread to see what responses I get.

Thanks

Comment

I have to agree. if you place your hand on all other parts of the oven and they are cool but the door is hot ,it would seem to be obvious that the heat loss is the door. That is not to say that your insulated door is not working, just that it is not 100% . As the heat lost from the face of the door is carried away by convection the addition of a secondary insulation layr should slow the process of heat loss

Comment

It wouldnt really matter how much insulation you had in the door if the front is attached to the back with the same material the bit nearest the fire will get hot and transfer heat to the the rest of itself.

Comment

Totally agree so if he wants to prevent the heat loss he would need an insulated panel outside the door and independent to it , I don't know how long he hopes to keep the oven hot but do me it sounds like a lot of effort

Comment

G'day
                  Its possible to do. I have 2 ins of airated cement block carved to fit the oven mouth. 10 mm ply sheet glued with silastic to the outer face, hardwood face and handles on that. Handles and outer face never get hot.
                  Disadvantage,its heavy roughly 10 kg, there delicate its possible to chip them and I cracked my first and it still worked.
                  Advantages, they work and work well, no hot face. Cheap and easy to make, my oven is in its secound in 4 years.
                  They mighten suit everyone but they work well. Not my idea either, came from another member who had made on as a temporary measure and it worked to well to bother to replace

Links at the bottom
                  Regards Dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Sounds like the option where you want to hold temps over an extended time rather then just while baking

Comment

Thanks for all your help, I will try the glass rope and see if it helps then decide what to do next.

Comment

Working...
                      X