Cold soaked oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold soaked oven

The last couple of months have been cool and damp out at the pizza oven. It took over 4 hours to get close to cooking temperature. The main cause I think is the fact that the exterior mosaic is not yet complete and therefore not sealed. I think moisture has been absorbed and may have got into the insulation material between the outer crust and the inner firebrick.
    I have taken to tarping the exterior to keep the rain off.
    This weekend I did a long 6 hour burn and could see the outer getting dry, pizza was good but I still think the floor of the over was too cool. I have a steel inner door that closes off the fire chamber but the entrance is still exposed to the elements.
    I have built an outer door this weekend and maybe that will help.
    Anyone else have these problems? What were your solutions?
    Capt. Paul
    Granite Falls WA, USA.
    Oven In Granite Falls

Re: Cold soaked oven

I can understand how a rainy PNW winter might soak the oven. That's why I went with the housing even though I prefer the look of an igloo like what you did (actually, I guess there is really no igloo like what you did ).

I think you are going to need a plan to cover the oven with a shed roof or something - or at least tarp it when rain is expected. Tile/grout are not waterproof - so even when you finish your mosaic, you are still likely to have moisture problems if you did not put a waterproof barrier behind the tile.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

G'day
      I live in the subtropics and like the igloo so I've persisted in getting my oven dry.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	575.6 KB
ID:	307197
      This is my experimental external door. The aluminium collar fits in the entrance and prevents rain from blowing in around the face which sits flat to the oven entrance. The block of wood and the fire brick are angle up slightly and the weight keeps the top of the door hard up to the entrance. It needs a proper rebuild now that it works. But like most things that work I'll get around to the rebuild in time.
      If you outer brick is firebrick they are not waterproof in any way and will soak up moisture. A non membrane type sealer would help, one of the ones designed for brick and sandstone. They might need reapplying from time to time as I don't know how they are effected by heat.
      Hope something helps
      Regards dave
      Ps sorry about the upside down pic I've only got the phone at present
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

That's an interesting point, the entrance is all fire brick. I will try some of that sealer. I am also going to try some cement sealer for the outer dome as soon as I can get it all dry.
        BTW I though the photo was the correct way up for down under
        Capt. Paul
        Granite Falls WA, USA.
        Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

The only real solution is a roof structure of some sort. Applying sealers on the cement covering the dome might help but is only a short term fix. I would not apply any sealer to the firebrick entry as your food will taste like it. A tarp thrown over it when not in use is a good idea. The picture looks like you have some discoloration, is the dampness causing this? I used a flashing pan I had make up under my entry. You can go to my pictures and see how I did it. Click on Campmaki it should take you to my pictures. Hope this helps.

Comment

I think you are right, some kind of roof structure. I could extend it forward so I don't have to stand in the rain while cooking my pizza
            Capt. Paul
            Granite Falls WA, USA.
            Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Maybe something like this only larger.
              Capt. Paul
              Granite Falls WA, USA.
              Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

I built my housing with an 18" overhang. Works pretty well unless it's really coming down.
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

When drying the oven remove the door if it's not raining so it can dry from the inside too. My oven will get mouldy on the inside during our wet season if I leave the door in place. Nothing a fire won't fix though.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by man7sell View Post
                    I think you are right, some kind of roof structure. I could extend it forward so I don't have to stand in the rain while cooking my pizza
                    That's pretty much what I did. I have a 16" overhang on the sides and back and a 3' one in the front, both to keep us dry when needed and to hopefully keep out most of the blowing rain. Best of luck to you.
                    My Build:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

I live on the South Carolina coast, so we get our share of wet weather. I had a local canvas-maker sew up a waterproof cover for me. Cost was about $500. Guy came out and made up a template, then went and fabricated the cover from outdoor Sunbrella. Waterproofing has been very good. I have touched it up from time to time with Scotch Guard, but this thing has done wonders to help keep my oven dry in the two years that I've used it.

Comment

Wow that is some awesome cover. Sunbrella is a great product. Lived on a boat for 17 years and had a lot of sunbrella, last great. Never needed to scotchguard it but I bet it doesn't hurt to do that. Thanks.
                        Capt. Paul
                        Granite Falls WA, USA.
                        Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Here is the roof and structure so far. Nice to cook in the dry too.
                          Capt. Paul
                          Granite Falls WA, USA.
                          Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

just enclose it and keep the d_mn bugs out

Texman
                            Texman Kitchen
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
                              just enclose it and keep the d_mn bugs out

Texman
                              No bugs up here.... much anyway, and the smoke keeps them away
                              Capt. Paul
                              Granite Falls WA, USA.
                              Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Working...
                              X