• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanuckJim
    replied
    Re: The "Redgum Roarer" - brick dome oven

Guys,

Yeah, I did add insulation under the vermic layer, and it made an immediate and noticeable difference. However, not enough in winter. I'm going to tear it out and replace it with SuperIsol in my copious free time.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Now that it?s built though - Is it worthwhile in insulating the underneath of the concrete slab? Like putting a vermiculite coating or a blanket etc??just wondering.
    I'm just wondering - those cal-sil insulation boards come in one inch instead of two inch thickness. Could you lift those two refractory tiles, shop-vac out the sand, and put in a chunk of insulation under that part of the floor? That's the area that really counts.

Leave a comment:

• jengineer
    replied

Drake - You couldn't find it because I posted it for CanuckJim before he became the adept master at posting.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/i...earth-609.html

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

I know CanuckJim added insulation under his hearth slab (basically in the storage area) and it was an improvement for him. I search for the thread where he discussed this, but could not find it...

It is something that you could add after you have some experience with the oven...see if it gets hot underneath and if so, add some insulation.

Drake

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

billrd
    I'm down the other end of Adelaide from Russell's place but hope to venture down there one day. I've done a cheese making course with Mark from Blessed Cheese (down that way) though and have gone on to make some of my own - fetta, camembert, haloumi and mozzarella. I?ve used a recipe for ?30minute mozzarella? which is quite fun ?..I was hoping to combine this with the pizza making at some point???.

James
    yeah I now understand why I should have put something between the concrete slab and the oven floor?.. which annoys me a little ??..mmehh?..
    Now that it?s built though - Is it worthwhile in insulating the underneath of the concrete slab? Like putting a vermiculite coating or a blanket etc??just wondering

maver
    I suppose it?s not the end of the world for my oven and I?m still quietly excited?.but when you look through some of the breads that CanuckJim produces it has opened my eyes to another whole angle I never really thought about.

Just as well my Dad is a wood turner and has a very large source of red gum to fire my oven......hence the name

Leave a comment:

• maver
    replied

My father's oven is built with just sand as the insulating layer under the oven, and it works well enough that it inspired me to build my own. The drawback is a long heat up time, and it takes a fair amount more wood to keep it hot. He also has the vent coming out of the dome rather than in front of the oven, so I can't say it's all an insulation issue - I'd love to hear how yours heats up once cured.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

If you can still do it, I would recommend either 3"-4" of vermiculite concrete, or 2" calcium silicate insulation under the oven -- for two good reasons. Your oven will heat up faster, without the sand and concerete wicking heat away from your cooking floor, and it will hold heat better because it won't vent heat out the bottom. I have seen this in person, where I touched the bottom (outside of the hearth) of a non-insulated oven and you could really feel the heat escaping the oven.
    James
    Last edited by james; 04-24-2007, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• billrd
    replied

Damon & Paul

I also have Russell Jeavons book. Have you guys been to his restaurant? I imagine we could learn a lot just watching him cook.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Originally posted by Hendo View Post
    Blimey!

Great build Damon - I look forward to seeing the finished product and hear how you enjoy that first pizza!

Cheers, Paul.
    thanks Hendo

I might not have it exactly right (as some things are a bit vague in the book - for the uneducated) but I rekon it should crank out a half decent pizza....

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Originally posted by jengineer View Post
    Yikes - one suggested mod for the next one. Isolate the bottom of the oven from the top slab via a perlite cement or a refractory inuslation board. You are going to find that the heat from the fire is going to heat up that bottom slab - unless I missed something in your description. Gret looking dome!

yeah jengineer, that is something I am starting to wonder about after reading on here.

The oven floor is 2 refractory tiles - 75mm ( 2.9 inches) thick
    they sit on on a 25mm (1 inch) bed of sand
    and that sits on the reinforced concrete slab 90mm (3.5inches).
    the slab is well supported by a series of brick walls underneath - even in the center.

just wondering what people experiences are.

Is that going to be detrimental for the slab?
    OR
    is it just that the slab will heat up...not ideal (for heat loss or things stored underneath) .....but no major drama?

I was thinking maybe of insulating the underside of the slab with some vermiculite or something??

My original plan for the area underneath the slab was mainly to store the peel, oven door, tools etc. when the oven is not in use (This would all sit behind a couple steel doors).Maybe even throw in a pull out bench if its not too hot.... then again maybe not

peoples thoughts??

Leave a comment:

• jengineer
    replied

Yikes - one suggested mod for the next one. Isolate the bottom of the oven from the top slab via a perlite cement or a refractory inuslation board. You are going to find that the heat from the fire is going to heat up that bottom slab - unless I missed something in your description. Gret looking dome!

Leave a comment:

• Hendo
    replied

Blimey!

Aussies are really starting to come out of the woodwork lately. And yet another Adelaidean. I guess with Russell's Pizza being fairly conspicuous here, and due to his great book as a motivator (me included), it would be natural that this would be so.

I wonder where the major population centres in Oz draw their inspiration, if not from this forum?

Great build Damon - I look forward to seeing the finished product and hear how you enjoy that first pizza!

Bill - good to see someone outside South Australia enjoying some excellent cask maker's products. I'd have to say that (malt whisky aside) I do everything better on it! The Beef Wellington sounds superb. Have you posted any photo's of your oven?

Cheers, Paul.

Leave a comment:

• billrd
    replied

I always seem to cook better on Coopers.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

^^^
    Coopers or Cascade

quantity is a secret

Leave a comment:

• billrd
    replied

Damon
    What brand and quantity of beer are you using?

Bill

Leave a comment:

Working...
X