Testing using Attachments to post photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing using Attachments to post photos

This is just a test to see if using Attachments and drawing images from MyDocuments will allow me to post viewable photos. If you see an image or a thumbnail of an image, it is the basic framing of my earth slab. No alignment has yet been done.

Since the 10 x 10 foot slab is larger than the Hearth Slab to be sitting on the block wall stand, I would like to slope only that front section of the earth based bottom slab to prevent water from entering the storage section.

I could cut about an inch off the facing 2x6 and slope the two neighboring ones to follow that slope but I'd like to retain the 2x6 profile so that they can be used as forms for the Hearth Slab. I have virtually no experience in pouring or sloping part of a slab ( Not the part the block walls sit on ).

If anyone has an idea on how to effect that slope without cutting the 2x6s pleas let me know.

Now let's see if I can post an Attachment:

Nope. My file is 1.24MB but Max. size is 97. KB
    [img]images/icons/icon9.gif[/img]

(M) So I went to PictureIt Publishing and tried to save that image as a smaller file. Let's try one more time as 25KB file.
    Last edited by Marcel; 08-15-2005, 09:50 AM. Reason: Image size too large; now reduced?
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
    but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Do you have a photo software package that will reduce the size of the photo?

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

several months after completing my oven, i realized that i was storing a fair amount of water along with the wood underneath the oven. so i simply cleaned the storage area out, went to home depot, bought a couple of bags of grout, placed a board in front of the hole to the entry area and sealed it to the patio with masking tape, mixed the grout to milkshake consistency and poured the grout into the storage area (the board blocked the grout from flowing out). this raised the floor level of the storage area to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch above "sea level". if you push the bulk of the grout towards the back you can get a primitive "slope" as well. (btw, this would have been easier if i would have done it before pouring the hearth).
      my site for our pompeii and tandoor ovens
      www.killdawabbit.com

Comment

when you are screeding your concrete, you could scrape some concrete away where you want your low point to be, and just manually slope where your entrance will be. by using a smaller screed (rather than using one that will glide all the way across the entire frame) you can smooth the sloped area below the level of the frame.
        -Paul
        overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Thanks, James for the idea of using a software program to reduce the image. It worked!

Thanks to both Paul and Robert for their ideas to provide a slope.

Robert, if I go with your idea, I would definitely pour mortar, inside the concrete block walls before the hearth slab work begins. That way I don't even need to have a step but should be able to feather the leading edge.

Paul, I'm a bit unsteady so having no support for the narrower screed may be too challenging for me; though a skilled mason surely could pull it off.

You may all be chuckling that I have not even commenced the pour but thanks to all the feedback I've had on anticipating possible problems, I feel I entered this Forum not a day too soon! I'm sure that even you Pros have benefited from input prior to your actual work on a given phase.

Thanks and you'll be getting on-going questions from me.

================================================== =

An overdue response from me to whomever (Jim? James?) thought I'd be paying an arm and a leg to have the concrete for the earth slab delivered; I got a quote, which follows:

Hello.

The total price would be $223.00 - here's the breakdown:

2 yards at $79 = $158.00
          Short rate = $ 50.00
          Mileage = $ 5.00
          Fuel Surcharge = $10.00

Total: $223.00

(M) That is certainly more than renting a mixer and buying ready mix, but at around $2 for a 60 Lb. bag and considering my age and the effort to mix so many bags, I looked at the $223 as a reasonable extravagance for me, as the whole project may end up costing $1,500.

Comment

This was just a test to see if using Attachments and drawing images from MyDocuments will allow me to post viewable photos.This is the basic framing of my earth slab. No alignment has yet been done.

Because I would like to slope only that front section of the earth based bottom slab to prevent water from entering the storage section I will use Robert Musa's idea of pouring mortar on sloped screeds placed inside the wood storage are, after the Hearth Stand Blocks are set up.

Now let's see if I can post another Attachment:
            Max. size is 97. KB

So I went to PictureIt Publishing and tried to save that image as a smaller file.

The next image should show Mary's floor plan for our realtively larger 10' x 10' slab, still not yet poured! The icons are not to scale. The area to the right of the oven proper is to be a work table, made of masonry.

I hit upon the idea of bringing in water and electrical. Subsequesnt photos will show the set-up in greater detail.

If you see pencil lines they are there because I initially forgot to allow about 4" for a faux rock facade on the hearth stand. We hope to include 2 Elec. outlets, a sink and water supply for the adjacent work table. Setting the feeds to enter the concrete blocks was a meticulous measuring task which I hope will be successful.

Thanks,

Marcel

Attached Thumbnails [img]attachment.php?attachmentid=95&stc=1&thumb=1[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X