Marcel Pompeii Oven Photos Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marcel Pompeii Oven Photos Part 1

(M) I am plagiarizing Hope's Title in the hope (no pun intended) that her very useful format may be the begining of some standardization of Titles for this Forum: "Brick Oven Photos"

(M) I will try to post a picture of my Hearth Stand Blocks, piled roughly to approximate their future placement on the Foundation Slab if I can ever get my friend to help with the pour!

(M) Note the heavy steel rectangular tube lying over what will be the wood storage area. It was 7' long and weighed 40 pounds. It's new size is 5' so it should weigh about 28 1/2 pounds. I got it at an industrial steel supplier from their used stock at 35 cents per pound.

(M) The gray conduit is for the electrical supply.

(M) Let's Hope that the image is not over 97 Kb!

(M) Well, I got the following message:

Oven Stand Blocks 2.jpg
    :
    File Too Large. Limit for this filetype is 97.7 KB. Your file is 111.1 KB.

(M) Back to my software to reduce it still more.

(M) FINALLY !

Thanks,

Marcel
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
    but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Marcel Pompeii Oven Photos Part 2

(M) Hope, I guess you must have added several images at one time. I just made the mistake of Replying to my own post. "How come ve get so soon oldt undt zo late schmart?"

(M) The next image I also set up for 450 x 337 size so it better be viewable. It shows the rough-in of water (the white PVC on the right near the red flag),
    some temporarily placed blocks where the table will be located, a black 1-1/2" ABS tube in a vertical position which is inserted into a buried 5 Gal. plastic pail with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage of waste water, and, some gray electrical conduit in both a vertical and horizontal position.

(M) I just needed to bury the conduit before the pour so I could bring it neatly in. I realize this is not the oven proper, but in case future builders want to include these amenities, they would need to plan ahead for that.

(M) Paul, I very much liked your rounded slab corners but Mary pointed out
    that our oven is set in a fairly standard layout and the possibility exists that we may build a rectangular housing for our igloo so I won't round the corners but I may chamfer them a bit.

(M) Since a picture is worth a thousand words, and since I've used my allotment, here comes the image:

(M) P.S. I see it is 68.3 KB so I could have made it larger.

Thanks,

Marcel

Comment

Is James rearranging photos & threads Aug. 26, 2005?

(M) I was not easily able to find this forum today but finally prevailed!

(M) Here come 2 more photos. I'm late to the gate, but "better late than never"

Thanks,

Marcel

Comment

Marcel changed to a 4-1/2 block square Hearth stand

Dear Friends, and Gurus,

I wrote to a new member, Steffen, today:

"(M) It was easiest for me to construct the Hearth stand of 4-1/2 blocks on each side. It involved no cutting and I figured that a square was the most economical closed "curve" for the circular foot print of the "igloo". The size is close to a 6' foot on a side square but actually, because each concrete block is only 15.5", it would be 69.5" if it were possible to stack them without *any* gaps. My Hearth Stand walls are closer to 70.5" so that's why I think of it as a nominal 6' x 6'".

(M) I checked with Jim Hatch (colonelcorn76) and James Bierney and they reassured me that I'd have sufficient space for insulation.

(M) There was some discussion as to whether to place the Hearth Slab 2x6 frame about 1/2" ON the blocks or just cut to the exact size of the outside perimeter. At this point I'm considering having the 2x6 just a tad ON the blocks.

(M) My "reasoning" for the ON block method is that I plan to construct a "house" type enclosure like Jim did so that I could house plenty of insulation under the roof over the igloo dome. The 1/2" lip all around the perimiter will allow me to rest sheets of 1/2" Durock-Wonderboard-Cement Board? on that lip while I try my hand at steel studs. The Durock should come flush with the blocks below.

(M) Here come some pictures, if I can get them small enough:

#12 Let's you count the 4.5 blocks per side.
        #14 Shows the 2x4 support for the plywood not yet cut that will hold the 2 part pour of the Hearth Slab. There are no shims yet in place so the 2x4 verticals are not.
        #15 Shows a large bag of Perlite that contained 4 cubic feet. It only cost about $13. I have already filled the one core that houses the electrical conduit. I want to be sure that even though that A/C line is well away from the igloo that no heat will threaten it's integrity!
        #17 is either the back or the left side of the Hearth Stand. I don't want to go back to check because the last time I did so, I lost all of my text. It is a moot point anyway since the back is the same size as the sides.
        #19 This shows a close up of the cell that houses the electrical. I made a small styrofoam enclosure for it, but I have siince pretty well discarded the use of the box to keep the pour out of the critical core. I would have too difficult a time trying to screed the Hearth Slab because as it is it will still have to be hand troweled.

As "Woody" would say in the cartoons I saw as a kid,

"That's all fer now folks!"

Ciao,

Marcel

Comment

Working...
        X