Dome Finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome Finished

Well I finished the dome. Used 1/2 brick for the lower courses. 1/3 brick for the middle courses and 1/4 brick for the rest.
    How long before I can start the small fires to dry the dome?
    Thanks
    Mike

I've heard you can make big roasts in a pompeii oven, but isn't that going a bit too far?

No, seriously, a great job. Using smaller brick segments at the top of the dome makes a better fitting and better looking dome.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Mike's Planetarium looks great, & lotsa room for wood!

Dear Mike,

(M) Your circular base works great with the Pompeii Dome! I'm not fond of the red plastic container in the storage area and hope you won't mortar it in place. I see you also have a TV screen showing Emiril? where the pizza should be. He looks happy!

(M) Enjoy your carefully planned work; you deserve the rewards.

Ciao,

Marcel
      "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
      but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Thanks all
        Dmun actually she's a big ham . My 18 yo daughter. She's 5'9'' and wanted a closer inspection of the brick work.
        I would recommend if you can make the smaller sizes as you work up the dome. Much easier to fit.

Marcel
        My thinking on the circular base was that a dome needed the round base. Trying to model after the Pantheon, a great domed building. My scale is off a little and I won't have as many columns.
        I might put a 2' statuary in the storage area to complete the temple effect.

Mike

Comment

What have you done to your oven since this post?

Comment

Well I finished the dome. Used 1/2 brick for the lower courses. 1/3 brick for the middle courses and 1/4 brick for the rest.
            i would be interested in trying splitting the top courses horizontally in half. this would make a smoother curve, with smaller gaps. but then again, other than showing of the masonry, i haven't really payed attention to the brickwork inside my dome since firing it. better things to worry about!
            -Paul
            overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Sorry I have not updated the photos.

I have since completed the dome insulation and made a door. I have used the oven qiute a few times also.

Here are a few pics.

Comment

A few more

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X