Marcel's Pompeii Oven photos Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marcel's Pompeii Oven photos Part 2

(M) Well, as usual when you do the unconventional, things have a way of getting past you. I read that Robert wished that he had poured a slope in his wood storage area *before* he poured the insulating slab. "Oh, Great", thought Marcel, "I can learn from someone else's mistakes"

(M) If you are a "newbie" like me, you can now learn from mine. Robert, I thought I was so clever when I laid 2 sloping 1-1/2" x 3/4" screed guides inside the wood storage area and poured, first concrete ( and then the rock aggragate in the concrete got too large to pass the screed bar) and then mortar.

(M) After the 1 1/2" rain prevention slope concrete>mortar dried, I inserted a drywall screw and removed the guides, then filled the narrow channel with mortar. Seemed OK, but when I tried to use James' dimensions for the 2x4s to support the plywood, I had to accomodate the difference in height at the back v/s the front of the storage area! Also, even the little bit of slope left the 2x4s less secure on their bases.

(M) Lesson learned: Pour the insulating hearth slab FIRST, then, on your knees, pour the rain prevention slope. I'll bet it will be easier.

(M) Here come a few photos. Note that I had to notch for a tongue on the plywood as I am installing the span reinforcing steel inside the Hearth pour. Most are using the standard L angle irons on the 3rd course.

(M) The photos show the form before final adjustments have been made so things don't yet line up properly. One shot (# 25?) shows a severly bowed 2x6. I may need to buy the ratcheting straps James suggests. One shows me pondering whether to drop kick a 2x4, and the last, (#28?) shows the 4th 2x6 just laid in place so you can see where it sits.

Ciao,

Marcel
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
    but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

off to a great start! better hurry up before the rain comes...oh yeah, that reminds me. better get to putting that roof over mine!...
    -Paul
    overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Working...
    X