Oven almost done - A Few Picx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven almost done - A Few Picx

Can't claim to have made it, but can't wait to use it!!!!

Re: Oven almost done - A Few Picx

Very nice looking. Way to go "team". :-)
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
      Very nice looking. Way to go "team". :-)
      James
      I agree
      Very nice!

dave
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Looks Great! Please keep us updated once you start using it!
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I like the look, wish I was at your stage! On the lower right is that a smoker or wood storage?
          RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
          Oven Thread

Comment

Thanks Guys...

RC, it's a smoker up against the oven. Same basic concept. Lot's of "mass" in the smoker to minimize the amount of fuel (wood) needed and use the retained heat in the bricks to slowly smoke the meat.....

James, you're correct about "team". Keith did a great job and is a good ambassador for Forno Bravo.

Mark

Comment

I get the impression you had a FB WFO installed, did you have the smoker installed as well. I would like to learn additional information regarding the smoker, such as heat source, mass etc. I started on the WFO odyssey because I wanted to put up a stone enclosed smoker. That's before I became obsessed with the pizza oven.
              As you can see I've made the pad with wings for the future. Now it's probably will be surface prepartion area and open in the back for wood storage.
              By the way Central Texas, is that the Hill country area?
              RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
                I get the impression you had a FB WFO installed, did you have the smoker installed as well. I would like to learn additional information regarding the smoker, such as heat source, mass etc. I started on the WFO odyssey because I wanted to put up a stone enclosed smoker. That's before I became obsessed with the pizza oven.
                As you can see I've made the pad with wings for the future. Now it's probably will be surface prepartion area and open in the back for wood storage.
                By the way Central Texas, is that the Hill country area?
                Hey RC,

Your oven will make an excellent smoker. I've been doing briskets. They get better each time! The first few times, the oven was too hot. But last night I nailed one.

First of all, I cooked pizza Sunday night. So oven temps... 900-1000 or so.
                I left the coals in the oven and put the door on around 8 pm after pizzas were done.

Last night(Monday) The oven was about 285f. I put a spice rub on my brisket and set it in a pan with a raised rack. Then I went outside, opened the oven, and threw a handful of hickory chips in. (there were still glowing embers, which I tried to get the chips on) Then I put my brisket and pan in the oven and closed the door. This was about 730pm. An hour later I threw in another handful of wood chips and shut the door. At bed time.. 10:00-10:30,........... I took the brisket out and wrapped it in aluminum foil. I put it back in, shut the door, and went to bed. Oven temp was still holding about 285f.

This morning(Tuesday) I woke up to a juicy smoked brisket. It was almost too tender to cut without falling apart. And actually could be pulled quite easily for sandwiches. The oven was about 235f this morning.

Anyways, your oven can perform many duties. It is wonderful as a smoker, provided you heat it up at least a day ahead of time...... that allows your oven to cook at lower temps and to really even out the heat.

I hope you try yours out sometime. Smoked meats make good use of all the retained heat.

Dave
                My thread:
                My costs:
                My pics:

Comment

Dave
                  You're saying that not the next day after pizzas but the following you did your brisket! Your oven is really retaining heat and if I remember correctly you did vermiculite as insulation on the dome.
                  Like I've said - this is an obsession - can't wait to start cooking. By the way I have in the freezer a brisket, ribs, a couple of turkeys, roaster chickens and roast ready for when the day comes
                  RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

RC, the day after pizza he did the brisket, not 2 days later.
                    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
                      Dave
                      You're saying that not the next day after pizzas but the following you did your brisket! Your oven is really retaining heat and if I remember correctly you did vermiculite as insulation on the dome.
                      Like I've said - this is an obsession - can't wait to start cooking. By the way I have in the freezer a brisket, ribs, a couple of turkeys, roaster chickens and roast ready for when the day comes
                      It kind of depends on outside temps and how hot the oven got the day before.
                      But from my limited experience.... it works best about 24 hours later... I've tried 12, but still to hot at that point. Give it 24 to 36 hours....
                      Seems just about right!

As for insulation I added a 1/2 inch Kaowool blanket, followed by 5- 6 inches of verm/perlite.
                      A bunch has settled so I need to add more to the top, but it is quite amazing the heat bricks can hold.

Dave
                      My thread:
                      My costs:
                      My pics:

Comment

any more pics of this? this looks to be a really clean install!

Dave, thanks for the Indepth Brisket Tutorial (aka the IBT)! Ill have to give it a try...

How close are the trees to the top of the chimney? Any worries there?
                        Steve Kennemer
                        Austin, TX

Comment

Just keep your eye on the temps over next 12 - 18 hours after making pizza. My oven is still cooling off quick. 275ish about 18 hours later.
                          GJBingham
                          -----------------------------------
                          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Finally, I have some reality on this subject. Pizza on Sunday night. I still don't have a door, so I stacked bricks where the door will go while there was still a good bed of coals. Monday morning, early, I unstacked the bricks, and put my thermometer in. After a few minutes it read a perfect 275 so I put a beer can chicken in and redid the bricks. Two hours later, I found the chicken over done. It looked and smelled awesome, but was over done. The temp was 335 at this time. I hadn't given the thermometer long enough to read accurately.
                            I restacked the door, and tried another one at @6:00 pm. The temp was 275.
                            Two hours later, it was done to perfection.
                            Right now, with no door on all night, it is 165 in there.(2:40 pm Tues.)

I need a better thermometer. Can't wait to get a digital "point-and-shoot" model.

dusty

Comment

Finally, I have some reality on this subject. Pizza on Sunday night. I still don't have a door, so I stacked bricks where the door will go while there was still a good bed of coals. Monday morning, early, I unstacked the bricks, and put my thermometer in. After a few minutes it read a perfect 275 so I put a beer can chicken in and redid the bricks. Two hours later, I found the chicken over done. It looked and smelled awesome, but was over done. The temp was 335 at this time. I hadn't given the thermometer long enough to read accurately.
                              I restacked the door, and tried another one at @6:00 pm. The temp was 275.
                              Perfect. Two hours later, it was done to perfection.
                              Right now, with no door on all night, it is 165 in there.(2:40 pm Tues.)

I need a better thermometer. Can't wait to get a digital "point-and-shoot" model.

dusty

Comment

Working...
                              X