late 1800's oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• late 1800's oven

I am doing a remodel of an old building that was a bakery in late 1800's early 1900's. Underneath the collapsed rear of the building (an addition)we found this wood fired brick rotary oven. it occupies 2 floors with the basement section being where the clean outs are. The owner had the oven cosmetically fixed and is using it as a centerpoint for the restaurant he is putting in the building. The drive section uses 2- opposing tapered wooden rollers for speed control and a worm gear drive for the turntable. I have not been able to find much info on this type of oven but believe it to possibly be a gueulard type oven. Any info or links to info would be appreciated.

Re: late 1800's oven

Now that's one I'd like to see. I thought rotary ovens were entirely modern.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The pix I attached don't seem to open, but same pics are posted in the newcomers section under new user old oven. You can see the turntable in 1 of the pics

Comment

Wow! That's very cool.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Here's the link for the pictures:

That is a seriously cool instalation. Is your restaurant guy going to try to restore it as a working oven, or just a decorative fireplace?

I don't know anything about old bake ovens, but maybe Jim will jump in with some actual information
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

My question is why don't I ever find cool things behind broken down walls. Some people find money hidden away in walls, here we have an unknown, but apparently fuctional brick oven.

I punch a hole in my walls and only find rat droppings.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
            X