George's Pink Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George's Pink Pompeii

Just one pic for this thread, for others who are just looking around for pics of finished ovens. No comment necessary.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Re: George's Pink Pompeii

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
    No comment necessary.
    I'll comment anyway . Fabulous! It looks just great.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

And sweet Lucretia, so young and gay
      What scandalous doings in the ruins of Pompeii.
      Where is Venetia, who loved to chat so?
      Could still she be drinking in her stinking pink palazzo?
      Where is the life that late I led?
      Where is it now? Totally dead!

Cole Porter

No, Just kidding, a great job
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks guys. Appreciate the kind words for my pink elephant.
        GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
          And sweet Lucretia, so young and gay
          What scandalous doings in the ruins of Pompeii.
          Where is Venetia, who loved to chat so?
          Could still she be drinking in her stinking pink palazzo?
          Where is the life that late I led?
          Where is it now? Totally dead!

Cole Porter

No, Just kidding, a great job
          Dmun, you come up with some of the greatest s...! I loved it!
          RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
          Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
            Just one pic for this thread, for others who are just looking around for pics of finished ovens. No comment necessary.
            And you gave me crap about TCU, you are not a horned frog are you?

We did an island in our patio for a place in grill and I stuccoed that with a Sherman Williams product and the color unexpectedly had a pinkish look. Needless to say we painted right over it. I'm thinking of doing stone over it now. Let's see how my stone work goes on the WFO first.
            What are you cooking this weekend?
            RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
            Oven Thread

Comment

Hey George, nice job, it looks great - congratulations!
              Any plans for the stand?

Comment

Thanks Sarah,
                Eventually, I will tie it all into a counter/bar/BBQ. Tile on the floor for sure. Possibly polished concrete counters, veneered stone on the sides is my thinking at this point.

RC,
                Horned Frog? Are you kiddin' me??? Beaver baby, all the way!!! OSU our pants are off to you, Mother F...rs, SOBs too! What a classic fight song!
                GJBingham

-

Comment

George,

You could say it was fuchsia or a "manly" terra cotta. Not matter what you call it looks great. I love the detail you did on the archway.

I'm planning my build for this spring. One thing I realized is that you want the oven to look good but when it's all said and done you don't see much of the actual "dome" just the entrance and the back of the oven. I need to spend more time on how the outside will look which I can tell you did.

You did a fabulous job!!!!
                  Dick

Comment

Congradulations George! Looks fantastic. Way to stick with it. I have noticed that construction on my oven has slowed way down since I started cooking in it. You're an inspiration.

dusty

Comment

Dick and Dusty,
                      Thanks for the comments. My goal was to get the oven finished, and try to do a better job on the outside than I did on the inside. If the oven doesn't implode, then I consider it a success.
                      People judge you on what you do, what you say, and mostly, on what they see. As James said, spend more time on what people see. I did what he suggested. I'm not sure I succeeded in my plan, but building an oven for me, was like taking a rafting trip down a river. Pick a course, deal with the rapids and flat spots, and see where you end up.

I applaud those who have the technical skill and patience to build a perfect dome with minimal mortar joints. They are a sight to behold. Once its covered with insulation, no one knows how awesome it is/was. If I was more gifted, it would have turned out better, but I'm not unhappy at all. I've got a WFO in my back yard! I'm diggin' it!
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

Great result George. I really like the arch treatment and the polished concrete works to a 'T'

Comment

Thanks Inishta,
                          I value your opinion. I'd love to make it back to your world someday. I really enjoyed my limited travels in Turkey. I've got several great (hopefully antique) Kilim rugs to show for my short week in your world. I'd love to reproduce some of the great meals I ate there in my oven.
                          GJBingham

-

Comment

You mob are sick; that's god-awfull Sir George.
                            Reminds me of the breasts of beautiful Scandanadians, who've just lobbed in to the Cairns area (Qld, Oz, for those who are guessing, Mission Beach in particular), from the depths of the Northern gloom).
                            Beautifull construction: just don't touch.... or you're dead, buddy.*

Sir George of Longview,
                            You bask in a surfeit of accolades.
                            Do the right thing M'Lord. Cast your vote to the North.
                            Vote (1) CJim.
                            *a reference to naked sunbathers. Like GJB's oven. Beautiful construction, wrong colour. Ouch!
                            Disclaimer: If I got the names wrong, my dog wrote this.
                            Jessie.

Comment

Lucky man, Jeff. Never hurts to have a look at those bathing beauties and dream of days gone by, huh?

Sorry I didn't respond to your post on the Clinker Grabber thread. We were way off topic. I decided to let it die there once someone redirected the discussion.

Vote's already cast mate! I think it was Acoma again. I've gotta look back and review. Got my own case of eggtimers diseast here!
                              Give Jess a hug!
                              GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                              X