Abandon oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abandon oven

I saw a couple of friends at Christmas that I only meet up with a couple of times a year. I told them I was building a pizza oven. They looked surprised because they had just come back from the coast and while driving, found what they thought was an abandon pizza oven. They thought it was so unusual that they took photos. They sent me the pics by email.

Looks like a barrel vault oven to me. Please correct me if I'm wrong. According to my friends, its just sitting next to an empty house near Westport, WA. Nothing else around, which is clearly obvious in the background of the photo.

Just thought it was interesting and worth posting.

G.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Re: Abandon oven

Sad...by the look of the stand it went up quickly...and seemed to be quite eclectic builders...definitely looks like a barrel vault...that seating/counter area is nice...could be a good example for some other builders
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Yeah, the brickwork on the front is kind of neat.

Wonder if it was ever used, not much sign of soot, if any!

Thanks George,
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Can you imagine the wood required to heat that sucker~!
        My thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
        My costs:
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
        My pics:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
          Can you imagine the wood required to heat that sucker~!
          Maybe that explains the lack of surrounding vegetation and the empty house. They ran out of wood and moved away.
          GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
            They ran out of wood and moved away.
            If that's it, then you'd better think twice about using your apple trees for cooking Pizzas, George! Never know where that might lead...

Nah, probably at one time there was a whole village standing round there. Now everything else has fallen down and all that's left is the oven.
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
              Nah, probably at one time there was a whole village standing round there. Now everything else has fallen down and all that's left is the oven.
              If thats the case, it is another testament to the durability of brick ovens

Bruce
              Last edited by brokencookie; 02-29-2008, 02:43 PM.
              Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

I looks a fairly modern build to me. Bet it was built for a song from found materials. It looks used a bit, also.

Put up a tent and have yourself instant roadhouse.

--mr.jim
                --mr.jim
                ---------------------------------------------------------------
                The real art of conversation is not only to say the correct thing at the right time, but also to leave
                unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

It certainly looks like the stand has been built by an amateur and the oven by someone with bricklaying skills. There has been some good design input, the brown brick strip on either side and shelves built into the front. I like the serving area with seats. The house may now be empty but there is a modern tractor in the yard and a loaded trailer. Perhaps it was used for workers on a much larger farm?

Comment

Good observation, Inishta. I wish I'd seen it myself. I'm working from second hand knowledge. Who knows, maybe a woman with 177 cats (and no cat box) lives there. I just thought it was cool. The brickwork seems haphazard, but somehow, it just seems to work.

Funny what people come up with, and how we can discuss it, ad nauseum. Something like the art world. I like it, you hate it, you like it, I hate it. Right or wrong, its an art form. Cool world huh?
                    GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post

Funny what people come up with, and how we can discuss it, ad nauseum.
                      **GASP** !! Don't tell me there are other oven enthusiasts on this forum!!

I like this oven too. Crazy brickwork is cool.
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

maybe the workers were having a few beers after work and decided to build an oven there and then with what stuff was lying about.....those who consumed more beer started on the base.........opppss I'm dribbling now
                        Cheers
                        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Cool................

Comment

Can't be that old - looks like modular concrete blocks have been used in both the stand and the seat - unless me eyes deceive me...

Ecclectic bricklaying style for the barrel vault. Aussume the thing has been thrown together by an amateur bricklayer with limited means...

Strange the amount of bricking around the flue/chimney!

Cheers,

LMH
                            "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

I think it was built by the ancient nomadic tribe, 'the Wuddahellayoudoo's'! Then they decided to move to Las Vegas and started to build there! The rest is history.
                              I think I read that in my history class way back in grade school. Then again I used to highlight my books with a black magic marker!!!! ...Nevermind!
                              View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Working...
                              X