No announcement yet.

36'' brick oven in northern Sweden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday, I finished the insulation layer with the last vermicrete on the top. I decided to go with Rockwool as the bottom layer directly on the dome. Then tied it down using wire and the mesh attached already to the blankets. Only one 30 mm layer, but I didn't want to throw what was left on the roll so I put two layers on some of the dome. Then covered it with vermicrete starting from the bottom up and using a rotating template as suggested. I think the resulting shape turned out pretty round. Now my plan is to let the vermiculite dry out before adding any stucco sealing the surface. At least a month. Sounds like a good plan? The stucco I will use is normal stucco without any water proofing additives, so it won't be water proof. Perhaps that is necessary.

I am of course excited about starting using the oven. Can I can I can I? I will read up on curing before doing anything. Read the building plans but found it a little bit difficult since I don't have any laser temperature reader. Perhaps there are other schedules that work as well. The oven dome has been completed now for two weeks but the insulation just yesterday. So should I wait 1-2 weeks before starting curing the oven counting from now or from when the dome was completed?

Comment

The dome looks great! A manual oven thermometer can usually be found real easy and cheap over here. They are just fine for the temps in the first heatings. And, you can use it later on for cooking. I would give it at least one more week, just for the vermicrete. You have insulation protecting it everywhere but right against the chimney. My advise is to start slow and gentle with charcoal (briquette or lump). No direct flames. You can cook something while your at it .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks, I'll go for one of those and cure the oven in a couple of weeks when it has dried up more.

Comment

Have started curing the oven this weekend. First with briquettes for two days and later with wood, coming up to 150C yesterday and 175C today. I find it difficult to know where to measure the temp since the floor is way cooler than up in the dome. I decided to put the thermometer on some bricks high up just inside the entry arch in the flow of hot air. Thought this would at least not lead to mistakingly high temps. Firing the oven is greatly satisfying. We are gathering around watching (yesterday with some aurora borealis and the full moon above). Quite a scene : )

Comment

That sounds wonderful to someone who lives as far south as I do. If you can ever catch all of that in a photo, it would be epic! I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your oven . There has been a lot of heat in there,...............,have you cooked something?
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

No not yet. I feel it would be little difficult since the temps on the floor are still nowhere near those up in the dome. After work today, I started a new fire perhaps coming back to 175C seeing if the oven will perhaps even put more as water is being driven out. I'll try to continue (moderately) slow.

Comment

It may take blocking the oven entrance to get that heat down to the floor and letting the oven temps balance. At the end of a firing, find something (noncombustible) to close it off. I've seen some stack enough brick up in front of the entrance to completely block it off. (I'm assuming that you haven't built a door yet) An hour later you may find the temps a lot closer together. During a firing, you can drag some coals across the entrance to make sort of a short levee. That will make the air entering the oven take a little higher route than directly across the floor.
                Last edited by Gulf; 09-01-2015, 12:00 PM.

Comment

No door built yet. Is there any big thread on door construction? I have only found pics of peoples doors in their build threads. I've cut some concrete plywood, insulated with aluminum foil and used that as a temporary door some nights. Tonight, I am burning away somewhere on day 5-6 trying to keep the temps inside top om entry arch coming to 250C. Still, the floor is much cooler but coming up over 100C at least. The fires are quite big now with 2 logs (wrist like or somewhat bigger size) burning together with a pile of ambers. Flames are sometimes licking the dome top, but trying to keep the a bit lower and going tonight for at least 8 hours already. Am I going to fast or does this seem ok?

Comment

Try this one
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...r-thread/page5

Search doesn't seem to work so well any more. You need to use google
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thanks! I agree the search function was way better earlier. Especially on the phone.

Comment

Have noticed minor hairline cracking on both sides of the vent arch from day 3-4 of curing. It runs along the brick and expands some when the oven gets hotter and contracts when it cools. Could become a problem later in winter i guess with freeze thaw cycles. I'm considering a shell/tile decoration that may improve water resistance.

Comment

Continueing makings fires, on day 6-7 and feel the floor and sides are getting hotter. Cooked a corn cob yesterday (it was nearby). Will perhaps do some serious cooking this weekend although it is not ready for pizza yet.

Comment

Ok, now it starting to get hot. A fourth of the dome whitened this evening. But the amount of wood (birch) that has been burnt to get this far! I sincerely hope heating the oven up will become easier continously. Have baked some batches of bread and now they are starting to turn out fine, although still the hearth is hotter than the air inside.

Comment

Wow. These ovens all look terrific! Good work, everyone!

Comment

The oven had had much use the last weeks, mostly pizza, bread and drying out tomatoes. Today, we're baking wheat bread at 225-250 degrees C and trying to create steam by throwing ice in a hot pan quite happy with the crust.

Comment

Working...
                                X