Ularu finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ularu finished

Well I put the final render onto the oven today. The wife wanted "Tuscany - like a terracotta" no problem I think...

The cement oxide color said Tuscany, it looked like terracotta. But when mixed with the grey cement it came our much darker.

Oh well, we have named it Ularu, for those non-Australian's you may need to google Ularu to understand why

OK - let it dry tomorrow and pizza on Monday, its a public holiday here. Quite appropriately Labor Day, man have I labored!

Re: Ularu finished

Hi, Talisker!

If your wife ain't happy, you could always try Dulux Tuscan Effects in the terracotta shade... show her Forno del Gallo in my picasaweb album for the effect :-)

BTW, I hope you named it Uluru rpt Uluru, or those ancient ones will be offended...

Cheers,

LMH
    "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

You mean this:

A fine name indeed. Is it volcanic? that would be even more appropriate.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Well, I googled "Ularu" and got many hits, should have checked better. I'll most likely get a bone pointed at me now.

Comments from friends are I should continue the decoration with concrete kangaroo's and a statue of Neville. Maybe a dot painting on the side?

Comment

Try Uluru Great looking oven.

Comment

I like the colour! Nice and earthy.

Any why NOT decorate it with kangaroos and a dot painting?! It'd be cool!
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

...spare me please!...it's Ayres Rock!

Comment

Originally posted by RossM View Post
                ...spare me please!...it's Ayres Rock!
                only for less than 200 years

Comment

...might as well start calling Australia "New Holland" then, based on that theory!

Comment

When colouring the cement with oxide the greyness of the cement always tends to dull the colour. This can be overcome using white cement. You need tons of the oxide coloring to colour the complete mixture and it ends up being quite expensive. I think a better solution is to make a thin top coat using white cement coloured with a proportionately smaller amount of oxide. Or simply use an exterior acrylic paint. Because the outside of the oven gets dirty, if you want it looking new all the time, then it needs a spuce up annually anyway.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by RossM View Post
                      ...might as well start calling Australia "New Holland" then, based on that theory!
                      Pretty sure that would be just giving it another white man's name perpetuating the Terra nullius mythology,but wouldn't in any way be helpful in resolving the lack of acceptance for the colour of the skin of his oven.

Comment

Working...
                      X