Start of the restaurant/bakery oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Start of the restaurant/bakery oven

Getting closer to closing the dome...the oval shape has made some of the curves challenging but soon it will be done. In some of the other pics it looks like a big Hershey's Kiss...
    All the best!
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Tomorrow the dome will close...put in the last few courses today with the help of some damp sand under but...removed it at the end of the day...everything is still standing...used a few brick chips here and there to give it just a bit of outward push.
      Until tomorrow!
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thx for the pics, looks great.

Comment

Last of the dome pics...now I have to complete what will be a very large chimney.
          Finished dome height was 23 and 1/4 inches so a bit higher than my target of 22 but all is good
          All the best!
          Dutch

Comment

Youse guys are on fire! Oh wait, that's the oven.

Comment

Today I was finally able to get the smoke chamber and smoke shelf setup and was therefore able to get a couple of flue tiles in place...it has been a challenge trying to make something fit in the given space...
              All the best!
              Dutch

Comment

That's going to be one loooong chimney!
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
                  Today I was finally able to get the smoke chamber and smoke shelf setup and was therefore able to get a couple of flue tiles in place...it has been a challenge trying to make something fit in the given space...
                  All the best!
                  Dutch
                  Dutch,

Beautiful work. I love the different color bricks in the dome. The oven should have a wicked draw once that chimney tile warms up!

Keep us posted!
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks Ken!
                    I computed the flow rate with the calculator that was posted on the forum and the number was astronomical...2500 meters per minute I think it was...someone said the toppings may get sucked off when another was in the 1300 range!!!
                    Thanks again!
                    All the best!
                    Dutch

Comment

Still trying to understand chimneys. What exactly is meant by the terms "smoke shelf" and "smoke chamber" as it relates to our WFO's? (sorry to steal your thread!)
                      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

In wood burning masonry fireplaces, the firebox opening is offset from the vertical chimney run. The flat area below the offset chimney pipe is the smoke shelf. The large area formed by this arrangement is called the smoke chamber. Among other things, this gives space for the damper to hinge up from the firebox. We usually don't get involved in this kind of stuff in freestanding brick ovens, where the flue tile goes straight up from the oven entry, with only enough of a funnel-shaped transition to channel the smoke into the flue.

Some ovens that are built into permanent structures need to conform to building code for masonry fireplaces, and might need a smoke chamber like this, but it isn't actually needed.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for reply. Much better than what I could find on Wikipedia
                          I'm also glad I don't have to worry about it for my build.
                          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

That was a great answer dmun...as usual. Those things were more a result of the fact that I had to try to keep the oven door as close to the exterior wall of the building as I could...so in order to leave some space between the flue tiles and the aforementioned wall I had to offset the tiles I therefore created a smokeshelf...the remaining smoke chamber is a place where I am hoping the smoke during initial firing will go...again because the oven door is so close to the building...don't want any significant smoke entering the building...definitely not something to worry about with your oven...and in many cases not even if you were building a fireplace...
                            Best
                            Dutch

Comment

I completed a bit of the masonry surround inside the building to kind of tie the brick archways into the overall wall...on of the bricks in the header course is gold-ish in color and we believe that color as well as the sort of sage green of a brick in the next course above and just to the right of the gold one will be included in the color scheme for the walls and ceiling. Looks like we will be getting a piece of soapstone for the counter area that is framed in the picture!
                              All the best!
                              Dutch

Comment

Looks great Dutch! I really like the look of the inside, what type of soapstone are you going with?
                                David and Cynthia Manchester

Comment

Working...
                                X