Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul's Oven

Hi

I know it is not a Pompeii style oven but I thought I would share with you the progress on my RADO style home built oven

As you can see it is made out of second hand materials (to a very tight budget -- as set by my wife) I have also been given a deadline of 8 weeks so that we can host her works Xmas Party.

I have very limited building skills but have found this project relatively easy (but physically hard)

regards ... Paul

Originally posted by woolbay1
    Hi

I know it is not a Pompeii style oven but I thought I would share with you the progress on my RADO style home built oven

As you can see it is made out of second hand materials (to a very tight budget -- as set by my wife) I have also been given a deadline of 8 weeks so that we can host her works Xmas Party.

I have very limited building skills but have found this project relatively easy (but physically hard)

regards ... Paul
    Nice oven. I almost went with the Rado style myself. I bought his CD and was very encouraged by what I saw and read. Building the dome in the pompeii style was a wonderful experience and I'm glad I went that way.

Now that I've used my oven a little though, I am finding that I may need to build a custom peel of some sort so I can get ash out of the back of the oven more easily. But only because I keep pushing food into the ash.
    --
    Tarik

Comment

Git your Pizza Peels...

Tarik,

In the word's of the Click and Clack Brothers on PBS Car Talk, this is a shameless commercial posting. :-) You can buy peels, brushes, rakes and shovels from Forno Bravo. Frankie G noted on his web site that GI Metal makes great oven tools -- and that is who we sell. Made in Florence, and stocked in Healdsburg.

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james
        Tarik,

In the word's of the Click and Clack Brothers on PBS Car Talk, this is a shameless commercial posting. :-) You can buy peels, brushes, rakes and shovels from Forno Bravo. Frankie G noted on his web site that GI Metal makes great oven tools -- and that is who we sell. Made in Florence, and stocked in Healdsburg.

James
        James, you guys are SO generous with your advice and with hosting this FREE information site that you deserve to make the occasional commercial post AND you deserve our support with the occasional purchase, ESPECIALLY if we have used your advice to build our own Pompeii oven!

In my case, I already have a long peel and a long handled brush, but I already find that I will need to pick up a long peel with a small diameter circle on it, and a few other accessories to help manage the fire.

One limitation with scooping ashes out of a HOT oven is getting all the ashes away from the round back wall so that if you screw up with the peel, you're not pushing the food into the ashes and ruining the taste.

Of course, we've been brushing them off and eating things anyway when they go haywire like this.
        --
        Tarik

Comment

Working...
        X