Roadside Ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadside Ovens

James and I have talked about the ovens and fireplaces sold in Europe along the side of the road.

This is an intersting set of pictures.....look like mass produced cheaper ovens
    ....but are they design flaws or innovations??? These 5 sizes went from 90 to 140cm.

Center chimney with sealing damper.
    3# slab with lifting rings in corners
    thick mortar and brick dome covered with stucco
    Square tile floor
    split door (thin, uninsulated)

XJ
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Roadside Ovens

...by the way, these ovens and the FB one James posted on a pallet gave me the incentive to do my MJ portable oven.....

Comment

Will you look at that weather he's having over there !!?! (or here?)

I'm going into a sulk and will refuse to comment on the ovens...
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I read recently that this area get's the most sunny days in Spain...something like 330...so blue skies are in the pictures a lot!

I've worked in some pretty icy conditions (-40 in northern Canada ) so it's easy to know which one you like better

Comment

Originally posted by Xabia Jim View Post
          ...by the way, these ovens and the FB one James posted on a pallet gave me the incentive to do my MJ portable oven.....
          Jim,

Make sure you never squash yourself. These guys are heavy, and pretty top heavy.

Take care!
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

They must deliver those things huh? Not many Chevy 3/4 ton trucks running around over there, or has that changed?

Nice interior dome shot XJ. I can't imagine those thinks won't crack a bit.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George, I picture a semi driving up to the garden center and selling as many as they can. It's a typical practice for businesses here....they flog the ceramics, pottery, plants, ovens, bbq's etc. I get the impression there are a lot of sales done by the drive-by vendors. Many Spanish businesses operate on cash, not credit and thus tie up a lot of capital in inventory to be sold.

you do see the occational yankee ford or dodge pickup here...but very rare!

and I was not impressed with the brickwork in the dome....a lot of joints lining up, the thick mortar....then again they've got a few centuries more experience than us in the new world!

yes James, I have dodged crushing my limbs a few times....hope not to be too close to the oven when moving it...a bad back reminds me periodically than you can only lift so much

XJ

Comment

Hi James,

Do you know where these road side ovens were being sold in Spain and the price? - My parents live in Andalucia and am thing about buying them one.

Any help would be great

Many Thanks

Comment

I don't think I'd take an oven with a vent at the top of the dome, as a gift. It seems to indicate a certain lack of understanding of how ovens work. And aren't those ordinary terracotta floor tiles on the cooking floor?
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

True. Buy them an FB UK oven
                    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

David,
                      that surprised me too. I can only think that it was more for a lower retained heat cooking than pizza.

I've seen a lot being sold now.....I'd like to find one being used.

I sent a PM to Toby.

XJ

Comment

Working...
                      X