Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Badger Build

Dick,

Thanks for the pics! It looks really nice.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Gang,

We ended up putting total of 1/4 inch of Type S over the perlcrete. I am now going to paint it with the Behr Stucco paint.

How long should I let the Type S cure?

Thanks
      Dick

PS the pizzas have turned out great - actually NO issues at all!!!

Comment

Dick,

I'm in the process of applying stucco to my enclosure (Type S mortar/stucco mix). All the info I've found on the net recommends waiting 4-6 weeks before painting over the stucco. I think that gives everything time to cure. It'll also give you a chance to use the oven a bit and repair any cracks that appear in your finish coat.

Keep everything moist for 48-72 hours so it cures properly!
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

• Oven Door and A question

Gang,

A friend of mine is fabricating the door. He roughed it out to see if it would fit right (fits great). There is 2" of FB board in the smaller section that will fit inside my oven arch.

Question.
          My friend was going to weld all of the seams so thier "air" tight. However, should he drill a small hole on the outside into the cavity with the FB board? I know you don't want to expose the board to food but we were concerned with expansion/contraction and thought a small hole (to the outside) would be a good idea.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
          Dick
          thebadger

Comment

I don't see how it could hurt, and it sounds like a good idea. If I were to weld it - there would be no problem with expansion.

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Very nice door!!

I'm curious what the hole would accomplish. Is it just to relieve air pressure when the FB Board expands? By the way, will the steel door expand too? Did you have to make it slightly smaller than the opening, or is it snug? I hope to follow a similar route.
              Picasa web album
              Oven-building thread

Comment

DBhansen,

We were concerned that if we make the cavity air tight then there could be issues when it heats up -therefore the idea came up to put a small hole.

If the consensus is not to do it we won't. I just wasn't sure if it was needed or not. i just don't want the dorry cracking where the welds are.

Yes, the door fits a little loose so when it expands it won't get stuck (I already thought of that). I was maybe going to put some special fireplace rope around the inside of the door to help seal it off.

Thanks
                Dick

Comment

One thought against the hole is that you really don't want to have constant contact with the ceramic fibers in the board. I would seal that guy up, and keep the insulation safely inside.
                  My two cents.
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

• The Badger Build (Painted the dome)

Gang,

A little more progress to date:

Painted the dome with the Behr Stucco paint.
                    The door is fabricated with FB board on the inside (no hole) - I just need to paint it.

Next is to pour the landing. I'm glad I've started using it as I realized I don't want the landing to stick out as much as I thought. I really like being able to reach when buiding my fire.

So far the oven is working great! Approx 50 pizzas in total and all have come out really good. Now we're trying to use if for other things (I have 2 beer can chicken's in it right now) and I've used the front landing with the Tuscan grill for some filet's with a homemade Basil Pecan Pesto. I did use a pan of charcoal for the convenience factor.

Thanks
                    Dick

Comment

Dick - looks great. Just curious; how many times have you "hit" it with mortar to achieve the shape? I put one coat on last Saturday just to cover the vermiculite. When I look at it, all that comes to mind is "Damn it it Jim, I said dome, not cone"

Les...

Comment

Les,

My wife did the pelrcrete and did a pretty good job with the general shape. We then coated it with about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of TYPE S - mainly one application - then my wife went back to fix a few spots with a quick skim coat. I didn't see any reason to put on a really thick layer. The Behr Stucco paint seemed to work well. What you see is 2 coats (1 gallon). I might wait a little bit and put another coat on before the winter...

Thanks
                        dick

Comment

about the door... What if... you welded up all edges of the door except one, like the top right edge. Get a big assed fire going and heat the door up inside the oven which will drive out alot of the air. Then weld it shut while its hot.
                          Steve Kennemer
                          Austin, TX

Comment

kemo,

Already welded shut. I think it will be fine. I used it after a pizza bake and seem to work well. I do need to paint with hight heat paint and then add some roping around the edge. I think that will help retain the heat.

Thanks
                            Dick

Comment

coolio...cant wait to see the final product. Are you going to do a before and after temperature retention study?

just curious how much the roping helps
                              Steve Kennemer
                              Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by thebadger View Post

My wife did the pelrcrete and did a pretty good job with the general shape.
                                Wow - My wife is a BABE! Incredible cook, fantastic mother to my children, smart as hell, awesome house keeper, and my best friend - but she can't build an oven. WHERE did I go wrong?

It does look great.

Les...

Comment

Working...
                                X