The Badger Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Badger Build

Dick, are you still planning a cantilever off the front with your final layer of concrete? If so, how thick will it be? I've been thinking about that part of my oven and was curious how yours will be done. Having a relatively thin caltilevered layer above the hearth slab & perlcrete should look nice versus starting the cantilever at the hearth slab, which is what I was planning. Or perhaps I misunderstood your intentions....
    - Daren
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Comment

Dbhansen,

Yes, I plan to cantilever out about 6-12 inches (probably 8"). Basically I'll build forms and place the counter around and in front of the oven. I should be about 3 1/2" thick using the colored concrete - it will surround the oven completely. I plan to use 2x4 on thier side around the edge to create an overhang that I'll place my stone veneer underneath around the oven base (wood storage area). Hope that all makes sense.

A concrete guy looked at what I was planning and said I should be okay.

Dick

Comment

Dick, what will support and secure the cantilever?
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Mfiore,

For the pour, I'll build a form using wood and 2x4 legs like we all do for the area underneath the hearth...

I'll run rebar from the back to the front and put rebar sticking out and criss cross over the cantilever section so it should be fine once it dries...

I hope.

Thanks
          Dick

Comment

Got it. At first it wasn't clear how it would stay up once you pull your forms, but if you surround the oven completely (which will be very cool, I look forward to this!), than it can't "tip" off
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

Yep, that's why I thought you were asking. It should be fine. I don't want it sticking out too far as I don't want to impede getting things in/out. Mainly just want a "ledge" to put hot items on when the come out of the oven.

Did another fire tonight 1 1/2 hours at about 300-350 - just using news paper and a few old shims.

Low and slow

Dick
              Last edited by thebadger; 06-03-2008, 07:05 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Badger, isn't that an otter on your Avatar?
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

Yep...

Just a play on words... My name was "mis pronounced" as "Badger" and I said the Badger is a ferocious creature (truth) my friends were telling me the Badger was a chubby, furry creature that floats on his back eating all day.

Dick

Comment

Otters are pretty fierce when it comes to clams. Crack 'em on a rock sitting on their belly then bottoms up. That's fierce!
                    GJBingham
                    -----------------------------------
                    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

• Re: The Badger Build

Just don't get between me and the buffet line

Curing continues with a 1 inch FB blanket in place:
                      1st day 1 1/2 hrs at about 300-350 (newspaper only)
                      2nd day 1 1/2 hrs at about 300-350 (newspaper only)
                      3rd day 5 hrs 350-450 (hit 550 once with a flare up )(paper/wood)

I've heard quite a few sporadic "clinks" is this "normal"? Is this the oven cracking or just normal expanding and contracting??? So far (fingers crossed) I haven't lost any bricks.

I'm going to keep this up (nothing too much past 500) this week and then next week I'll insulate/perlcrete and repeat a little before going "plasma."

Thanks
                      Dick

PS picked up some decorative bricks for the front arch - they should look really good - I'll post pics later.

Comment

Originally posted by thebadger View Post
                        I've heard quite a few sporadic "clinks" is this "normal"? Is this the oven cracking or just normal expanding and contracting??? So far (fingers crossed) I haven't lost any bricks.

Mine made that noise a lot.
                        And yes it cracked. Not only mortar joints, but bricks themselves.
                        I think that noise was the bricks cracking. But not positive.
                        I did rush my cure a bit. Wish I wouldn't have ....

Anyways... cracks happen.
                        Don't sweat it, but don't rush.
                        My thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                        My costs:
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                        My pics:
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Any more progess?
                          ------------------------
                          "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

Comment

Asudave - thanks. It's so covered in soot that I can't see anything. From what I've read I'm not concerned about cracsk as I know I'll get them. I just hope they aren't bad enough to cause structural problems/bricks falling out.

Cplain - no more "real" progess. We had a neighborhood garage sale today - we ended up in the red by about $20 - by buying items from our neighbors .

I'm hoping to cure some more tomorrow - 350-400 range and maybe work on the front decorative arch.

Thanks
                            Dick

Comment

• The Badger Build (Outside Arch)

Gang,

I decided not to do a fire today and work on the front sides of the outer arch. These are medium brown textured brick (not sure if I can or if I'll want to get rid of the extra mortar - I'll see how it looks). These will be exposed to the elements and I'll build a door to fit in the recessed area to keep moisture out. I'll then insulate behind the brick and tie everything into the arch like George did.

Again, defininetly not perfect. It's going to look "aritisan" that's for sure.

Thanks
                              Dick

Comment

• Re: The Badger Build (Outside Arch)

Originally posted by thebadger View Post
                                Gang,

Again, defininetly not perfect. It's going to look "aritisan" that's for sure.

Thanks
                                Dick
                                Doesn't look "artisan" to me!

What a beaut!
                                My thread:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                                My costs:
                                http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                                My pics:
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Working...
                                X