The Badger Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Badger Build

Sorry, Nope,... not done . You have merely completed the part that interests you the most. Getting an oven that cooks pizza. Now you must complete the part that interests your wife the most... the appearance She has been willing to put up with your obsession with the hopes that your oven will beautify the yard when it is done.
    Having done many projects managed by SWMBO ( She Who Must be Obeyed) or she who holds the power of the budget, I have found that the longest, most tedious, and finiky part of the project is the last "dressing".
    My wife is never nagging or overbearing about these "apearance" items. She just says things like..

"Oh, I had pictured it much redder ( taller, rugged, square, round, pick your adjective) "
    " I really like it. If I could get you to do one last little thing it would be even better"
    " Did you mean for those bricks to have a 1/4 gap rather than a 3/8 in gap?"
    " You were going to square it up and clean it weren't you ?"

And the ever popluar

"Oh....Are you Done ?"

Believe me, the project ain't done until she says it is !!
    Last edited by brokencookie; 06-21-2008, 08:29 PM.
    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Brokencookie,

I did say "sort of"

U R right, no project is ever done until the boss says so. I am actually looking forward to take a little break as I cure and cook to spend time with my boys and wife. As all of you know, this is a big project requiring lots of time. My boys have even added "...please GOD help daddy finish the oven so he can play with us.." to their nightly prayers.

I want to spend some time with them and then I can finish 'er up.

Dick

Comment

Great work Dick.
        It has been a pleasure watching your progress.

You oven looks great, and I hope it performs as well as it looks.

Keep posting. I can't wait to see how you finish it.!

Dave
        My thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
        My costs:
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
        My pics:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Yes, good work... keep going...

It really has turned out a nice round shape and that stone veneer will look great on it!
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by brokencookie View Post
            Sorry, Nope,... not done . You have merely completed the part that interests you the most. Getting an oven that cooks pizza. Now you must complete the part that interests your wife the most... the appearance She has been willing to put up with your obsession with the hopes that your oven will beautify the yard when it is done.
            hahahahah!!!!!!!!

Well said!

And that is where I currently am in life.

No pizza cooking for me lately..
            My thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
            My costs:
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
            My pics:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Gang,

My wife told me she'll consider it "done" when she doesn't have to help me wrap it up each night to keep it from getting wet.

Built another small fire tonight 350-450 for about 2 hours. My goal is to keep building small fires after work this week.

Curing to date:
              12 hours (over 5 days) 300-550 using 1" of blanket (fixed a coupld of cracks)
              Then added 2" blanket/4" perlcrete
              5 1/2 hours (over 2 days) 350-450

I'm trying to go low and slow...

Thanks
              Dick

Comment

• The Badger Build (First Pizza!)

Gang,

Still curing!

So far I?ve built about 9 fires. I was planning to cook few pizzas tonight but the rain got in the way. However I did manage to crank one out. I didn?t get it too hot so the pizza cooked in about 8 minutes! Even so it was delicious. The dough was a little chewy but we had some issues with the rising.

I did hear another ?clink? but I haven?t seen any ?major? cracks.

I?m still going to burn smaller fires and cook some pizza at lower temps to get the hang of things before going nuclear!

Dick

Comment

Outstanding!

Your finished oven looks gorgeous. I laughed when I saw your picture of the boxes of stone veneer. I just picked mine up yesterday. I wish I could have paid $3/ft! I had to match our pool retaining walls so I needed to spring for the $8/ft stuff.
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Ken,

I like the look of your veneer base - looks great!!!

Gang,

I finally went "white" on Sunday - I cooked about 8 regular and 2 dessert pizzas for some neighbors. Again, no "big" cracks on the inside that I could see. I'll have tuck point a few joints but so far so good. I do have a couple of cracks on my outer "decorative" arch but I'm not too worried about those.

Only issue I had was making a pizza while one was cooking (just did one at a time for now) hard to do two things at once. I did use my "superpeel" to make it easier to slide a pizza on my metal peel... I might get another superpeel so I can do two at once - you can make them on the peel and "push" them off as they don't stick.

Hoping to cook some pizza on the 4th depending on the weather.

Then to figure out my "stucco" options.

Thanks
                    Dick

Comment

Originally posted by thebadger View Post
                      I finally went "white" on Sunday -
                      Isn't it cool that you get to see your bricks again? Congratulations!
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Comment

• The Badger Build (Status)

Gang,

Took a quick break from working on the oven to start actually enjoying the oven. I've had about 3 pizza parties, cooked salmon for the family and a beef brisket the next day after pizza. The pizzas have turned out really great - no "totally" burned ones yet

I called quikcrete and after talking to a rep decided to put a layer of type S mortar over my perlcrete. I think we eneded up with 1/8 - 1/4" over the whole dome. My plan was to then use "quickwall" and add a little texture when applying it. Then finish with a masonry paint.

Question...

I kinda of like the look of just the type S. Can I just put a layer or two of masonry paint now or do I need another layer of "something" - either type S or quickwall?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
                        Dick

Comment

You should be able to paint the mortar with no problem. You will have to go through hell and high water to remove it (but that's another issue )

Les...
                          Check out my pictures here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Dick,

I love the way your arbor throws cool shadows on your oven. My next project is to build an arbor over our patio. Eventually we are hoping to have it covered with Wisteria. Have you posted pics or your arbor on here?? I'd love to see it for design ideas.

Thanks!
                            Ken H. - Kentucky
                            42" Pompeii

Comment

• The Badger Build (Pergola Pics for Ken)

Ken,

We had an old wood deck (if you can see it through the junk) that we needed to repair or tear down. We decided to tear down and pour a concrete pad. We then used a lot of the wood to build a play tower for the boys and the pergola you see pictured. I wish I could provide "plans" but it was pretty much all in my head limited by the length of my beams. I do wish they "hung" over the cross pieces a little more but overall we're happy with the results. (The org. plan was to put the oven on the pad in that general corner but I got concerned over the footer issues - see early
                              posts).

I've posted a few pics to show you what we ended up doing. I do wish we had a roof to keep the rain out - if I had to do it over again.

Thanks
                              Dick

Comment

Dick

your oven is looking as it should. if i might make a suggestion instead of paint put an oxide in your render as it makes it last for ever i have just finished mine and will post pics tomorrow.

very nice
                                Regards
                                Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X