The Badger Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Badger Build

You are so close, I can taste the pizza. Looks great!

Comment

Looks good, Dick. What is the name of stone veneer you are using. I like the look you've created.
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Mfiore,

It's the Owens Corning Brand - Limestone (Lake Erie). Normally $70 a box and I got it for $30 since the colors were off - looked fine to me...

Thanks
        Dick
        Last edited by thebadger; 10-24-2008, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Dick,

The veneer work looks fantastic! Very nicely done. I may have missed it in your thread, but are you using anything special to mortar the stones to the base?

Thanks,
          Travis
          TravisNTexas

Comment

Staestc,

First timing doing this... The picture make it look a lot better.

Just using Type N mortar from Lowes.

Thanks
            Dick

Comment

Thanks Dick. And pictures don't lie, it really looks great (although it does look 10 pounds heaver!).
              Travis
              TravisNTexas

Comment

Good work, Dick.
                You have remarkably tried! The original furnace which even without facing looks on all of 100 % has turned out.
                Good luck.
                Alexander.
                p.s. Forgive for my English, I translate the electronic translator.

Comment

• The Badger Build - DONE!

Gang,

I haven?t been around posting much lately, as I?ve been busy with holiday preparations and my sons Tiger Den.

Well, I guess my oven is officially DONE! I started my obsession April of '07 and I finished the stone veneer last month. Next year I need to construct my counter/prep area to the right of the oven and I might add some decorative tile to the front edge of the concrete.

We? been using the oven almost every weekend since it became operational in July. I think my neighbors enjoy it as much as I do.

While everything is still ?fresh? I wanted to post some thoughts/reflections on my build.

Construction
                  1. Can you do this? ? Yes you can. I have some general ?home maintenance? skills but never worked with brick or mortar before.
                  2. Read the FB plans from start to finish ? they will answer about 90% of the questions you?ll have
                  3. Insulate, Insulate, Insulate ? I highly recommend the FB board ? it helps with leveling the bricks and with insulation. I also recommend the FB Blanket.
                  4. My dome brickwork isn?t near any of the quality I?m seeing lately but my oven works great! I wouldn?t sweat what you?ll never be able to see. No one has ever stuck his or her head in my oven.
                  5. I think a 36 oven will suit the majority of homeowners.

Oven Operation
                  1. You can?t do it all yourself. We?ve made as little as 5 and as many as 30 pizzas. Running an oven is a two-person job ? one to make the pizzas and one to get them in and out - they cook so quick.
                  2. Teach your neighbors how to work the oven. Now I can sit back and help form the pizzas or just drink beer.
                  3. For neighborhood pizza nights ? we provide the dough and we have everyone else bring toppings.
                  4. I know they?re not cheap but I highly recommend the FB tool set ? very high quality.
                  5. Blasphemy I know but don?t try ?can? dough (we tried it in a crunch) ? it has so much fat that it burned up the second it hit the oven floor.

A big thanks to James and eveyone else on the FB Forum who helped me throughout my build!!!!

I hope everyone has a great Holiday Season!

Dick
                  aka thebadger

Comment

Congratulations Dick on completing the project!

It has been great fun to read your thread and watch your (and your family's) progress..

If there is any power in numbers, add my vote of approval to your list of 'lessons learned' about building and using the oven.

As a repeat, building and using a WFO is a very rewarding process...

And learning to cook in the oven is all good!

Best!
                    JED

Comment

Congratulations! What a lovely conclusion to your build, thank you for posting it.

Great list of points there. I really need to to take the first two on "oven operations" to heart... sounds like you've got things well organised.
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Just to clarify one point - you can work the oven by yourself. I don't want any "newbies" out there to think you "have" to have two people. If you're just cooking a few pizza's for family and friends you'll be fine. However, we usually end up having about 4-5 family's over (~15-20 people) so the extra help is definitley needed.

It's about 25 degrees outside with a little snow but we're planning on cooking a few pizzas tonight.

Thanks
                        Dick

Comment

Dick,

You oven turned out just great. I love the fully stocked wood storage area! The oven/arbor combo worked out nicely (I'm doing the same thing!). Really gives an indoor/outdoor feel.

Have fun cooking!
                          Ken H. - Kentucky
                          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Gang,

I've been out of active posting for a while but checking in from time to time... I've just poured a small pad for my outside counter/prep area so I'll be posting pictures of that soon.

I did use the oven a few times over the winter and we've already had a few neighborhood pizza parties - BYOT (Bring Your Own Toppings) - I usually supply the dough. For those of you debating a 36" oven will suit you just fine. I tend to only cook 1 maybe two pizza at once and this size has been perfect.

The oven has been a blast and I think even my wife now admits it was worth losing her husband for a few months during the build.

Dick

Comment

Welcome back, Dick! Looking forward to seeing your continued progress. Those neighborhood parties sound like a lot of fun.
                              Picasa web album
                              Oven-building thread

Comment

Dick,

Your oven looks fantastic.

After 6 mo. and a total chimney redo I am going to pour my concrete worksurface. Did you mix your own concrete or did you purchace pre mixed counter concrete? I am hesitant to mix my own but locating premixed here in Columbus is proving to be pretty tough.

My oven has a wrap around counter surface like yours. My not completely finished photos are on page 22 of the photo gallerydated 1/18/08.

John

Comment

Working...
                                X