New build Derbyshire, Uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build Derbyshire, Uk

I am hoping to start construction on my oven in March and I intend to post updates and photos for those that are interested. I wanted to site my oven in a courtyard behind the house but space there is very limited. For this reason the build will not be a conventional one. I plan to access the oven from a hole built into the wall. The actual oven will be behind the wall (in the area where the round plant pot is in the photo). The oven landing will be part of the wall and I intend to run the chimney inside the wall so that it will not be seen. I know in my head what it should look like but I don't have any definite plans. I will see what space I have once I've dug out for the slab. I intend to get stuck into the build and see how it develops as I go along. I'm new to all this so I will need all your experience to help me though. Cheers.

Welcome, I say this is going to be interesting to watch you incorporate the oven through the stone wall and the chimney in the wall. The wall looks like it is abt half meter thick and not a dry stack. Are you going to be able to get a chimney in without affecting structure drastically or is it a teardown and really build? Any way good luck. A good place to view ovens is in the Newbie section 'treasure archives'.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi, yes the wall is about half a metre thick. I'm going to have to take part of it down and then rebuild it around the chimney and landing. Thanks for the heads up on the Newbie section. Spoon.

Comment

That is a very beautiful courtyard. It looks like some sections of those walls may have seen some history.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks, the main building is over 400 years old and is listed so I have to be careful about what I can and can't do.

Comment

You have great potential there I think; reminds me of some of those properties in rural France - each with a WFO as standard. It doesn't matter if the wall is 500mm thick - it just means you'll have a longer arch - which can provide useful protection from the wind.

Just imagining the finished project should give you the inspiration you need (a summer's evening, lanterns etc. etc.). Keep us posted...

Comment

Started my build and already hit a few problems!

Comment

Murphy's Law at its best.Maybe you can still place a slab over the drain as long as you have a grate for the water to enter??
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that the drain was for an old outside toilet that is no longer there. I decided to fill in the hole and then cast a slab on top.

Comment

I've now ripped down the wall and cast a slab. It rained!! I hate this bit when you have mess everywhere, can't wait to start putting things back together!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how this looks when you're done. It's a great setting.
                      George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

My next major problem was this massive stone (about half removed in the photo). It had to come out and took a couple of days to break up, hate to think how heavy it must have weighed.

Comment

I finally got to start the construction. I've built the retaining wall and set the hollow blocks on the slab.

Comment

Slab for the oven cast with2 courses of DPC underneath to stop any rising damp.

Comment

The oven slab the following morning. Seems to have come out ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X