No announcement yet.

New build Derbyshire, Uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is where I'm up to at present. I've ordered my fire bricks and I'm collecting them Friday. Just hope for some decent weather this weekend so that I can start on the oven!

Comment

Looking good, but I would be considering some drainage. You don't want moisture accumulating around the supporting slab or it can wick its way into the rest of the oven and create problems when the oven is in use. It needs to be dry to work well.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David, the oven slab is not connected to the retaining blockwork and it does have an inch or two gap all the way round. You can't see it on the photo but I've also left a small drain hole in bottom of one of the retaining walls. Would you do anything else? Do you think I ought to drill more holes in the wall for drainage?

Comment

That sounds good. Only you know your local conditions and how damp that area gets. I just didn't want you to be disappointed well down the track when addressing this issue would be difficult if not impossible. Seems like you have considered it well.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Oven on its way. Had a few disasters to be honest, this is my 3rd attempt at it. First try I decided to use a polystyrene form but I couldn't cut it flat enough and it began to fall to pieces when I got to the top. 2nd attempt I supported the bricks as I built up the oven. It took hours to complete and I was happy with the result. However, I ran out of cement and went back to my supplier for another bag. To my horror he brought out a different bag to what I'd been using. I purchased fire cement and clay at the same time. I now realised I been using the clay as cement and vice versa (dumb I know but the bags weren't marked up). It then dawned on me that I would have to rip down everything I'd done and start afresh. It was heartbreaking but at least I found out at this stage. On my 3rd attempt I decided to make a proper wooden form and build off that. It was much quicker to construct the oven that way but does have its drawbacks. Hopefully I can now move on with the project.

Comment

looking good from here spoon despite the setback. Carnt wait to see the finished result as its such a loverly setting to start with.

Comment

Front arch done. Had a peer inside, quite happy that I got away without any big mortar joints. I'm starting work to reconstruct the front wall next working my way up so that I have something to build off for the chimney.

Comment

Brickwork looks excelent how are you going to get the chimney into the wall is what I am waiting for

Comment

Doesn't look like I've achieved much this weekend but I had to take the original stone wall down to the floor before I could start the rebuild. Built it back up and managed to cast a concrete slab for my ash pan and to give me something to build the chimney off.

Comment

Also managed to do a bit more on the back of the oven. I'm running short of stone so going to have to scrounge some more!

Comment

A bit more work building the front wall up. Chute for the ash pan done and now started work on the chimney.

Comment

Awesome build!

I love the moss growing freely under and around the oven. Will you allow it to grow? That is a heck of a reach into the oven. Not much more than mine. But, more than what is normal. It takes longer tools to work the oven. However, I don't know how it would be for a shorter reach. The large areas to the right and left, inside of what I think will be the entry landing, will be great for holding and warming areas. I'm looking forward to see what comes next .
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hi Gulf, thanks, I will certainly leave the moss to grow. I'm hoping that, as far as possible, when it is all finished it will look like it has been there for years (the more weathered it is the better). It is quite a long reach into the oven but I wanted to have a deep landing and chimney (hopefully this will minimise the amount of smoke coming out of the front door).

Comment

If you want to hurry along some moss in other areas, you can use a trick that has been used a lot to propagate it. There are several recipes out there. I like the one with stale beer and sugar. I'm sure that the hooch from sourdough starter would work the same. Just find one that you like. I used the beer and sugar recipe a few years ago on some hypertufa. I know that it works ..
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

A bit more progress this weekend despite the rain showers!

Comment

Working...
                                X